Sheep ranch road in avery

russ209

Reaction score
So I did some scouting today on an area i had never been and it was a good day. I heard some gobbles and saw a pair of jakes with a hen crossing the road, so no shot opportunity. I parked at a trailhead and I dont remember the name of it but their was a guy packing out a nice tom that he had roosted earlier, their was also a local going for his morning walk. The old local told me that he sees birds in the area everywhere and that he has seen a ton of lions. WELL after about 6 miles down the trail I had to turn back because I needed to be back in stockton by four and as I'm walking back a lion just casually trots across the trail and looks back at me and disappears down the draw........:pig-laughing: I heard some more gobbling but I think it was coming from the trailer park where they are like pets I was told. If anyone needs a map of where I was let me know and I can post em up. Also does anyone have any info on the Sierra Gun Club? They have boatloads of nice property nearby where I was and have never heard of them.Stay safe Russ.

Last edited:

OVHunter916

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know anything about Sierra Gun Club but I've heard that area is loaded with turkey. There's lot of public land bordering private around there. Past and present coworkers have property in nearby West Point and Railroad Flat that have lots of birds. Sounds like some landlocked BLM land is here along with adjacent forest service lands...

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

russ209

Reaction score
Its very interesting area. I spoke to the forest service and they told me it was a private gun club/ deer club. There was a lot of turkey sign in the area I would need to put in a little more work. I forgot to look at blm maps also thanks for reminding me!

walters_dj

Reaction score
Greetings russ209 and all of Jesse's hunting. I'm new to the forum, I'm new to the 209 area, and a lifelong outdoorsman. I'm originally from the Fresno area, but moved here after an 11 year run in the Navy. I've been poking around the surrounding hills with my two boys recently, looking for places to find a turkey, but I have had no luck as of yet. Russ209, I would really appreciate that offer of a map of the area you wrote about in this post. I've been down to some BLM land by mariposa and didn't see or hear any sign of turkeys. I'm not sure where else to look around here, and any nudge in the right direction would be an enormous help. Thanks guys, I look forward to seeing you all in the turkey woods!

jerryt

Reaction score
Were you closer to Avery than Sheep Ranch on Avery Sheep Ranch Road or were you Possibly closer to Mountain Ranch and headed out Swiss Ranch Road. The area has lots of Turkeys and used to have a good number of pigs years back until the mountain lions moved in.

Steve1978

Reaction score
I hunt that area a good amount. Russ send me the map and we can both go over some areas.

russ209

Reaction score
Hey all when I get home and on my pc I will post up the map. Stay safe Russ.

mtoutdrsman

Reaction score
I just move to Sheep Ranch from Montana and heard a rummer that The "Sierra Gun Club" is a farce....The rumor is that thousands of acres previously owned by Stanford ( of Stanford U.) was bought by middle easterners to build tunnels for protection from nukes or other bombs. I have heard that from 2 totally different people.

Top Bottom