Shooting sticks

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I thought I would put this in the blactail deer forum since blacktail season will open first. I have been using crossed shooting sticks for over 20 years and have purchased 3-4 different brands. The ones I am currently using and almost everyone I hunt with is using are the Easton Cross Shot sticks in medium. I also have the taller ones but rarely carry them. I have 3 sets for myself since I am old and will sometimes forget them in someone else's rig or at home. I carry a set in my truck, in my travel trailer and a set that is with my hunting vest that I use 90% of the time. I have purchased another 4-5 sets that I have given to my son and grandsons. That is an indication of how much stronger and better they are than the other brands I have used. I use them to glass with since I use 10 power binos and I will sit for long periods of time to glass. They support my binos almost as well as a tripod would.

I am not saying you need shooting sticks but I think they are a great help for me when going prone is not an option. I am posting this since we seem to have a few new hunters this year and they may not have thought about a way to support a rifle for a shot while sitting or a support for the binoculars while sitting down. I almost never collapse mine back down unless I am crawling or packing. If I don't have them extended it takes too long to get ready for a quick shot if one is needed.

If you watch Randy Newberg videos he really likes walking sticks and they also work well and walking sticks provide more support for hiking. I like my shooting sticks and I don't hike the kind of distances some of those guys do.

Last edited:

Farallon

Reaction score
Re using shooting stix for climbing, I have used a trekking pole as a “steady”.

CA North Coast, second year here. Few does, many fawns...more fawns than does....this week I will put put a couple of licks and some deer “fertilizer”. And a game camera.

I found this page years ago, home grown game cameras.

I will not be hunting these deer, just something to do in retirement.

dthome

Reaction score
This walking stick is what I’ve used for years. Used it for both deer and bear. Saved my hide when I got buck fever. And the price was right!8FCD82B1-4806-41AB-B86F-9B365769CABD.jpeg

Sawfish

Reaction score
Very nice. I use a Bog-Pod because it collapses and I can take it on the airline.

Top Bottom