shore fishing 4 bass...tips?

dazco

Reaction score
Going fishing this weekend for the 1st time in about a year. Not sure if i'm gonna go to one of the 2 lakes i always go to (Castaic and Piru) or try a new one like Silverwood or Quail lake.

1st off, i don't like using lures. I prefer crawlers, and the way i usually do it is i have about a 1 to 2 foot leader with a sliding weight on the main line and an inflated crawler. This is my prefered method, but i'm open to tips as to a more productive method either concerning bait or rigging. Any thoughts? I don't do very well at Castaic or Piru using this method and i'd like to catch more, as i seem to get skunked about 9 times out of 10 at these 2 lakes. So any tips would be appriciated, as would any opinions on those 2 lakes. Is it my method or the lakes themselves that ain't cutting it? I know Castaic is a world class bass lake from a boat, but i wonder if i should be doing better even from the shore.

Thanks,-Dale

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Just an idea. I don't know if your in the mood to rent a boat , but that would increase your chances. If you do get out in a boat, your method should work, take away the sliding sinker. And add a small split shot with about 2 ft. leader and inflated crawler, and work it just like plastic worms.  Works great for me.  BTW. I have tried this from shore, and it worksalright. Just find some structure and pull a few out. Anyhow , Good Luck

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
Ok, i appriciate your replies, but i should have been more clear. 2 things that aren't gonna happen are 1)-lures (live bait only) and 2)- A boat (shore only)

So what i need is any tips about live bait and rigging, and any other tips regarding catching bass from shore with live bait. I know theres gotta be better ways than i'm doing it because as fishermen go, i'm about a 2 out of 10.

Thanks,-Dale

Bou

Reaction score
dazco,
I fish from a bass boat and i use the same method. I know that will probably cause much flaming by some bass pros but it works for me. The question I have is what kind of retrieve do you use and what structure or patterns do you look for when you fish? I generally try all kinds of retrieves from barely crawling the worm every five minutes or so to a slow swim. Look for structure and drop offs and watch your line very intently. sometimes all you'll see is the line "pop" alittle as your worm falls. This could be a bass inhaling your worm. I also flyline the worm or use a small swivel as weight. Then I'll lift the worm slowly and let it drift down again. This method account for seven bass this weekend for me. Two were possibly five pounders.  

dazco

Reaction score
I just let them sit till i get a strike. They're inflated on about a 12-18" leader, so they're just sitting there. I don't retrieve at all, except of course to check to see if i still have a worm every so often, or to try a different spot.

-Dale

bloodsports

Reaction score
dazco,  Try not to use a weight.  Try flylining a crawler.  You may also what not try El Dorado park.  It is a shore fishing only lakes with some huge bass.  My personal best from there is 11lbs.  It was caught on a live crawdad.

dazco

Reaction score
Sounds good, but i could not find anything about El Dorado park. Where is it, and what is the lake itself called?

THANKS...

bloodsports

Reaction score
El Dorado Park is in the city of Lakewood or Long Beach not for sure though.  There are several lakes there the best being the big lake.  These lakes hold alot of big Bass.  I have seen several caught over 10 lbs.  This is a city park so the lakes are not that big.  You can easly walk around them.    

Latest Posts

Top Bottom