Short Draw Length

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Going to the bow shop this weekend. Decided to buy a compound bow. I haven't shot a bow since a Browning recurve in the 70's.

By the various Draw length formulas I've found, it appears mine will be in the 24.5 - 26" range.

Any short draw archers out there that love their bow? I know you need to get your hands on a few bows to decide which one to buy. Would like some recommendations to start the search .

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
I dont have a short draw length but my advice would be go to a bow shop that has a place for you to shoot. Try a few out and see wich ones you like. Alot of the bows draw lenghts can be adjusted pretty easy to fit you. I shoot an older bow, a Oneida Tomcat. And before that I was shooting an old High Country. I love both of those bows but the new ones that are out are alot faster and lighter.

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Can shoot at my bow shop. Also have a manager there that I went to High School with. He has given me some great deals on gun purchases over the years. My research has shown that there are some great bows for youth or short draw shooters in the 40-60 pound range that should fit the bill. Am hoping someone (or their wife/child) has had expeience with a 24-26" draw length bow. I'd like to know what weight arrows and broadheads have been successful. I have a couple months to shoot before season opens here in IN. Plus the shop will train to eliminate bad habits. They have a virtual 3-D range that is cool also.

Have a great season, when you get that shot; relax, focus, put 'er in there. Then invite your friends to the grill party!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Shoot everything the shop has, and see what feels right. You might fall in love with a fast bow, or a smooth bow, or something in between.

Most manufacturers have short draw bows, and if that shop has a virtual 3d range, I would venture a guess that they are well stocked as far as options, shoot em all and then tell us what you got.

as far as arrows, those are just like bow manufacturers, everybody has their favorite, find something in your price range and shoot it a lot. Broadheads are also that way, but since you have a short draw, I have a 27" so my knuckles aren't dragging either, my one recommendation is a variation of a cut on contact head.

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
OK, spent Saturday touring 6 local sporting goods stores looking for a bow. I'm 5'7", under 160 lbs., and all my draw length measurements point to a 25 or 25 1/2" (w/ string-loop) bow.

I've handled the Parker Buckshot, Browning Rage and Tornado, and the Mathews Mustang.

Of the three, I'm leaning towards the Mathews. None of the shops has a 40-50# Mustang (the heaviest draw available) with my draw length in stock. Does anyone have a source? The one shop will work with me on tuning and arrows, sight, quiver etc.

Also one comment I've heard is it is better to max out a bow's draw weight to get the quietest and smoothest operation. IE, if I want to draw around 50#, get a 40-50 rather than a 50-60# bow.

I've also read the argument that with a lower fps bow (50# draw at 25"), that the heaviest arrow you can shoot will carry the most penetration power. The flip side is reduced fps will mean a greater chance for deer to jump the arrow, and that speed is everything.

Any comments are welcome.

Will be gun hunting this year, but next season will be prowling with sticks and string also.
Ain't hunting season the best time of year?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Damn dude, you can pick yer nose without bending an elbow!

Good advice here. Shoot as many as you can and go with what feels right.

Coues

Reaction score
Bowtech and Hoyt/Reflex make bows with a 25" draw length in weights up to 70lb.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Look at Reflex as Coues says, also I don't think that these days it is as important to max out the limbs, pivoting limb pockets and quieter bows have changed that, I know many folks with quiet rigs that don't shoot maxed out.

Also the best way to quiet a rig is to shoot a heavy arrow, that will quiet down the noisiest bow.

Since you are just getting into shooting you need either a buddy that has his own proshop at his house and the knowledge to help you out, or a knowledgable proshop that will get you started.

You mentioned sporting goods stores, most I have seen don't know half what they should to work on bows, a true proshop is the best bet, if you have that option. I encourage folsk to buy from their proshops whenever possible to keep them in business.

You didn't mention what draw weight feels best for you, a #50 will kill a deer just fine if that is what you need.

I have a 27" draw so I am not much longer than yours, also about the same height and build as well, I am shooting the Mathews Apex7 now, a fine shooter that is smoking fast and still draws smooth like a Mathews should, there are tons out there so enjoy finding the one.

one other point I just recently realized is I like a llonger ATA bow, I shot shorter ATA bows for years and just recently realized I shoot bows in the 36-38" axle to axle length better, that is something to consider, besides draw weight and draw length, and of course speed, shoot em all and then make note of the ones that felt the best, chances are they will have similair brace heights and ATA measurements.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Also the Mathews Prestige is available from 22"-29" draw length, 322 IBO speed, but they are expensive as heck.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Inchr48 heres a web site you should check out (HUNTERSFRIEND.COM) they carry almost every manufactors '05-'06 bows and at great prices and they have all the specs for the bows. they also have '05-'06 clearance deals and best of all they have complete '05-'06 compound bow packages at great prices, you get the bow, sight, stabelizer, peep, rest, release, 1/2 dzn.carbon shafts, 3 pk. broadheads, string dampeners, hard bow case, wristsling. they set it up and tune it to your specs before they ship it to you, all for the price of the package deal of the bow and shipping is included its free shipping!

just click on the bow pacage your intrested in and it will show you everything you get,
check it out!...............tra

PracTac

Reaction score
inchr48,
I stand 5' 6" w/ 25" draw length. I purchased the Parker Challenger II, 40-50#. It's approx. 33" Ax-Ax, single cam. Yes, the norm is, the bow shoots and feels better at it's greater draw weight. This particular bow is a Women's/ youth model, but you have to get what feels right for you.

My arrows are 25" PSE 200 Carbon Extremes w/ 125 gn Thunderhead broadhead, approx. 360 gn. total weight. That is a bit heavy for a 50# draw. So, I'm probably pushing about 208fps. If you want a bit more velocity then a 85-100 gn broadhead would work.

Check out Parker!!

Steve

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks PracTac,

Handled the Parker Buckshot, but didn't care for the grip too much. Still on my hunt, have 3 archery shops within an hour drive located to check out.

Fishspanker

Reaction score
inchr48,
I was in your shoes about a year ago. I'm a short draw shooter also but at 24 inches(I shoot crossbow bolts out of my bow, that's how short my arrows are). I ended up buying a bowtech equalizer(242fps @ 55lbs). I didn't have the option to shoot as many bows as I could because in reality, there aren't many "fast" bows made for the short draw shooter. In your case at 25 inches, I think your right on the border line where you can still shoot the matthews and the hoyts and other bow companies....and yeah, shoot everything you can and then choose...good luck and have fun.....

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I have heard good things about the Bowtech Equalizer, that it holds well and shoots very smoothly/accuratly for it's short brace height and speed.

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
One piece of advice Id like to pass on is choose your release wisely. With the proper release you can gain and extra inch of draw length. I switched releases recently from a Scott Mongoose to a Scott Sabertooth and went from a 27"draw to a 28"draw and picked up another 10fps. I was able to do this with out any modifications to my form or discomfort. So a few releases Id recommend would be the Scott Sabertooth, Scott Wildcat and the TRU Ball Short N Sweet. All three are good quality releases.

As far as some bows to look at for a short draw here are a few Id recommend. Mathews Mustang, Mathews Ignition, and the Reflex Highlander. All three are relatively priced the same and are very good bows.

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks OA for the comments.

Got my first deer with a handgun this year with my 44 Mag. Contender, hope to be proficient enough next season to get my first bow deer.

My old Ithaca slug gun is 4 for 4 on deer, and have been wanting to try different hunting methods. My buck this year is only my 5th deer. I've spent many hours over the years with many around and within range, but just don't shoot that many. Bow hunting, especially a spot and stalk, has got to be a great thrill. Hope you are having a good season.

Huntin Fool

Reaction score
Inchr 48, I too have a shorter draw length at 27 inches best advice would be lighten up your arrows. I shoot Radial X weaves 7.5 gpi reasonably light, if you want lighter shoot Cheetahs lighter but more money. I have also experimented with using different grain field points and braodheads. You may want to try 90grain heads i gained more speed but ended up sticking with the 100grns because of broadhead slection. Also consider taking off string silencers to pick up a little speed. Lastly consider turning up the poundage, i keep my bow at about 65lbs because of my draw length. Oh, and the bow i shoot is a Hoyt magantech good bow and plenty of draw length choices can also choose half sizes such as 27.5 verses a reflex which would be just regular inch incriments. Hope my rambling on helped.

Top Bottom