Shot a big boar this weekend, but

huntallday

Reaction score
Well I had a great opportunity this weekend on a big boar. We caught him just grazing in a field, and we closed the distance to about 180-200 yds. He was big and all by himself. My buddy had the camcorder and I had my 270 with 130grain core lokt soft point. I had a great rest in the prone and felt very confident in the shot. Well I waited untill he turned brodside and squeezed the trigger slowly. He dropped right in his tracks, with his feet kicking up in the air. He squealed for about 40 seconds and stopped moving. Yeah we got him my buddy whispered. Well that wasnt the case because as soon as my buddy said he was down, that big pig got up and ran into the brush, and then through the other side and kept going. What happened? Is my 270 two small for that distance, or is that front shoulder just too thick to penetrate? Man this pig was hit hard. We looked that evening and the next morning and found no sign of anything. I would of put another one in him but couldnt find him in the scope. Has anybody ever experienced this. I know I hit him in the front shoulder because I have it on video. Well can anybody shed some light on this?

Shot

Reaction score
There was a post regarding the use of 270 on boars before. I mentioned that the 270 can take down a boar, but it all matters where the boar gets hit. If you had shot him in the rib cage then you would have definitely killed him. But the shoulder has thick cartilage under it that the boars uses as protection from the tusks of other boars when fighting. It is difficult to penetrate this, and even if you do it won't cause that much damage. I would have to say besides the front part of the head, shoulder has to be the second strongest part of the boar.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get him, hope you bag a big one next time.

Boar Tracks CA

Reaction score
I shot a hog out of Paso that when we skinned him out, we found a 243 cal slug in his neck. It takes a real good shot placement to put one down in his tracks. I like to shoot them a little far back from the shoulder in the mid ribs,that way you got the lungs and liver,but thats just me. I know a lot of hunters have their own shot placement idea's.

Sorry to about the loss hog.
Good luck next time

SDHNTR

Reaction score
We could all cast theory upon theory over this. My opinion is doo-doo just happens. You weapon was adequate (although I'd opt for at least 140 grains, and preferably 150) and the shot was within range. I think you just ran into one big mean boar that refused to die. Hunt long enough and you will see wierd things that you may not be able to explain. Don't blame it on the .270. One Central Coast guide I know uses one exclusively with 150 gr Core Locts. he's killed hundreds of them. No one knows what happend for sure. Just take what you can from the experience and learn from it. Don't beat yourself up about it. Happens to the best of em. Get back out there and do some more hunting.

DaMatRat

Reaction score
Wow, that really sucks.
However you did say it dropped in its tracks, kicking its feet in the air and squealing for like 40 seconds?
I can’t imagine you were not able to put at least a few more rounds in that big ol’ boar in that amount of time?

On a different note: last October in Paso Robles I shot a 200lb sow broadside (right in the sweet spot) at a distance of a little over 100 yards with my Remington 7MM (Winchester Fail Safes 160 grain) and the bullet went clear through her. She squealed loud, ran about 50’ and then dropped dead.
My question: is it normal for the bullet of a well placed shot to go right through a hog?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
DMR,
Given your circumstances, bullet performance was completely normal. You shot a Failsafe, which is a very tough bullet designed first and foremost for penetration, at a moderate range into a broadside sow. If it was a big boar with a sheath of plaque it MIGHT not have passed through. But that shot on most animals will result in pass through.

manfreddy

Reaction score
I had a 180 grn 30-06 go clear through the neck of one boar and hit another hog who was behind him in the leg. Distance was about 100 to 125yds and they were on the run.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
As SDHNTR mentioned, Failsafes are developed for penetration and slow expansion. I shot an Elk last year and the bullet hit the spine (which dropped the Elk like a ton of bricks) and exited. The exit hole was dime sized. I use 150 gr Power Point bullets for deer and pig, good rapid expansion after short pentration expansion. I must say though, that I use a 300 winmag. I would use 150 grain bullet for pigs. When I can't afford the pig to run to far (Tejon Hell Canyons, close proximity private proeperty) I aim for the shoulder.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
The hogs I shot that squeeled were either hit on the ham or the back straps. Usually hogs hit in the back strap will drop on the spot with legs in the air shivering and kicking. Then they get back up on their feet and run. I shot a few hogs in the back strap above the shoulder. They all have that behaviour. Luckily I was shooting a Semi-auto Remington 7400 and was able to stop them from getting away with quick followup shots.

L2H

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
First thing I do after I shoot any critter (especially hogs) is jack in another round so that I can be ready if a situation like that arises. It learned that lesson from an instance similar to yours. My friend's dad yelled at me for it. It was unpleasant, but I learned from it. Pigs are tough and they don't leave good blood trails so it's best to try to anchor them where they stand (often easier said than done). Sorry about the lost oinker, sometimes things just go wrong.

srjl

Reaction score
some of the ranchers i talked to in king city who kill hogs say they seen alot of hogs packing lead in their armour around there head,they told me to just shoot them in the head.

bohunter3

Reaction score
I saw a friend put a single bullet in a hog at 307 yards and drop him hard. it layed there for about 3 minutes. Then I shot another I saw running, and the 1st pig got up and started running. My friend hit him two more times, but we never found him. lots of blood, but the trail ended and we lost him.

I hit mine with a 180 grain 300 savage at about 150 yards. It still took another shot to put the second pig down.

Some days your the bird,and some days the statue

Top Bottom