Shot another pig this weekend (pics)

superduty

Reaction score
Congragulations, did you all get one? Story to go with the pics?

huntallday

Reaction score
Unfortunately I went all by myself, drove 3 and half hours, but it was well worth it. Saw 7 big hogs, only 15 yards away. Was hoping to see a boar, but their heads were covered by the weeds, and they were moving quickly, and didnt have to much time to be picky. Let her have, she dropped and expired imediately. Could of take another close shot, but only had one pig tag left. It was over a mile drag, but another hunter let me borrow his game carrier. Man is that thing sweet. Save me alot of time and strenous dragging.

superduty

Reaction score
What type of game carrier was it? Did it have wheels or was it a sled?

huntallday

Reaction score
Had two heavy duty wheels, and was capable of carrying 500lbs. Man I will own one soon, and if your a hog hunter and dont have one, buy one. It will pay for itself the first use. Especially when you have a long drag.

hunt hard

Reaction score
nice
your in for some good eating. was the hunt on private land.

BDB

Reaction score
Nice looking piggy, congrats

larrysogla

Reaction score
Huntallday,
You are the guy going back to the East Coast, right? Looks like you will miss Vandenberg & the piggies & the California weather, maybe??? My niece's husband is an Air Force captain at Vandenberg. Too bad he doesn't hunt. Vandenberg is really a military hunting preserve & you guys deserve that break. Certainly a nice hog you bagged in that picture. Congrats!!!
God Bless. larrysogla.

bigdaddyk

Reaction score
huntallday, It is to bad I could not get away this past weekend, but we will get them this coming weekend. I will come by and pick you up on Thursday Evening around 2000. This way we can get in a Fri/Sat/and Sun Hunt. Talk you tomorrow.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Nice job, and great looking pics. Never tried one of those game carriers, may have to look into it.

Again, congrats!!

Guard Dog

Reaction score
HI All, I have a question for those of you in the military that hunt Vandenburg. I am also AD Air Force and have thought about hunting there but not sure of the particulers. Is there a season permit required like Hunter Liggett? Could I bring a non hunting friend who is not military? If I get a chance to get out there which areas should I concentrate on? Any info is greatly appreciated.

TSgt Brent Lake
ANG Recruiter
144th FW / Fresno, CA

armo25

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am a new member. I am from California but hunt anywhere the Army sends me to. I use 30.06 Remington 7400 semi-auto with see-through sights-my favorite.
For those who want to hunt in Vandanberg Air Force Base here it goes:
-you need to be in active military or reserve and some DOD civilians are allowed
-no non-military guests on hunting trip in the field, i know you probably ask that you being in military can sign them into the base, but for non-military guest to be with you on the hunt is a big no-go, it is all security issue, and your hunting privilage can get suspended.
-you buy a pig tag in the PX at the customers cage for 13 dollars, a sticker into your hunting license. The PX even sells additional pig tags
-next you go to the wardens office located by 13 street gate and get a permit which is good for all day (yes you can hunt all day Monday-sunday-legal hours). The permit is good for 30 days.
-then you go hunting-make sure you get the map from the warden's office, it is free
-there are very good pig signs on area 2A-shotgun only.
-Vandanberg is a pigs haven for military personnel-there is very low hunging pressure and you can hunt all week long, and you can also extend your tag if it expires after 30 days. When I am on leave I always go there, the wardens office is open from 8am-4pm, so you need few days to get the permit and the sticker and you can start hunting that evening. While you are there find out abou the Deer season, I am not sure but I think Vandanberg AFB runs their own deer program, which means one buck in addition to 2 buck tags for CA. Check on this at the office-I am not 100percent on this, but for the pig the info is correct. I just shot a small 30 pounder just on Tuesday, in the morning.
Good luck
boarhunter
-

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Great info, Boarhunter. I'm sure the guys will find it useful.

Otherwise, WELCOME TO JHO!

Guard Dog

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Armo. This site really does rock! I wish I had found it sooner. I had another member send me some info as well that will make my first trip to VAFB much easier. I would like to see some of us military guys get together this fall and have a large pig hunt at VAFB, maybe make it a competition? Largest hog wins and the losers get to sing the wining branches fight song! How many of you know the Air Force Song? I can hear the beautiful sounds of jarheads and squids singing " Off we go into the wild blue yonder.............................."LOL.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom