Shot cups vs. Plastic wads

dblsmk

The wads I use in my shotgun are the typical over powder card, cushion wad and over shot card. I've noticed a plastic shot cup offered for steel shot and started wondering about using plastic shotshell wads in my muzzleloader.
Now my question, Is the use of the one piece plastic wads in a modern muzzleloader dangerous? The bi-metal shot cups come with a pretty nice price tag for such a limited quanity.
I'm just trying to increase pattern performance later in the season even tho I can see having to swab the barrels to cut down on the fouling the Pyrodex causes, since the cushion wads I use now are treated. If it works, reloading when Dove hunting might be a bit faster, as a bonus.
Just a thought.

dtj6ppc

The wads I use in my shotgun are the typical over powder card, cushion wad and over shot card. I've noticed a plastic shot cup offered for steel shot and started wondering about using plastic shotshell wads in my muzzleloader.
Now my question, Is the use of the one piece plastic wads in a modern muzzleloader dangerous? The bi-metal shot cups come with a pretty nice price tag for such a limited quanity.
I'm just trying to increase pattern performance later in the season even tho I can see having to swab the barrels to cut down on the fouling the Pyrodex causes, since the cushion wads I use now are treated. If it works, reloading when Dove hunting might be a bit faster, as a bonus.
Just a thought.
I use plastic cups in mine and they work just fine..........Don

dblsmk

Thanks dt, I take it by plastic cups you are talking about the one piece wads reloaders use in shotshells.
do you have any sort of fouling problem?
Anyway thanks again.

Top Bottom