SHOT my 1st wolf

davered1

Reaction score
After 10 years of near misses(some not that near) I finally managed a 65 yard shot at a beautiful black wolf this morning.

YAAAYYY

THIS GUY IS STILL ALIVE.got a pic of him with a HOMEBREW CAM

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Wow davidred1, congrats on the wolf. 1st wolf posted here too I think for a homebrew camera. Did you call the wolf in or just happen on him in the field. How many can you take in a season?

davered1

Reaction score
spectr,

Can take 2 here a year with your hunting license.No extra tags needed.

We have quite a few around now, but they are hard to find within range,When you do they are usually trying to get out of range QUICK.

Details.....Well,

Started 7 days ago when I found some elk(6 total) ran over all the same day by a train.Watched them like a hawk and the first night the wolves were on them.watch for 4 days and none ever came around in the daylight.

3 days ago I had noticed that they had pulled 2 of the elk away from the tracks trying to get them into the timber so they could eat all day(I assume).I started walking out to the elk,leaving my gun in the truck.Don't ask why I just did,50 feet from elk and movement out of the corner of my eye got my attention.Looked and there was a black wolf trotting through the trees.MAN DID I FEEL STUPID.

I ran to my truck and grabbed my gun but the wolf decided my running probably meant that he should as well. I let a shot go anyway but knew it was all for nothing before I pulled trigger.

For 3 days I beat myself up for it and this morning figuered that he was there 3 days ago in daylight why not today? Went back at daybreak today and got to exact spot as last time,turned and looked and low and behold he was standing in the exact spot as before,just staring at me with those eyes that can look right through you.Pulled gun up and shot before he decided he didn't want to be there anymore.

The rest is in the pictures,I am going to get a rug done with him,He has long grey guard hairs and a grey base with jet black hair,1 long greu stripe down his back ,a grey patch on his chest and grey around every toe.

Man he is a beaut.Hope to tag 1 more before to long but might have to wait another 10 years for another.

I have 3 cams out trying to get more pics so we will see what happens.They don't care much for the flash
Either way

Fubar

Reaction score
davered   Congratulations. I only know one other person who has taken a Wolf. Way to go.           Fubar

Pasco

Reaction score
That's a big dog, huh?  He really dwarfs your rifle in that pic.  Any idea what he weighed?  This is the coolest thing I've seen around here in a while, thanks for posting it.

davered1

Reaction score
98 lbs.

Has nice teeth to ,was in really good shape.

Lots of guys claim we have to many around here,the trappers even put a $100 bounty for each skull sent to them,But I don't think theres to many,deer and elk populations are still rising.

I would hate to see them wiped out,don't think I need to worry about it much only about  4 get shot around here each year(mine is the first one game wardens have heard about so far this year)

Hook

Reaction score
That is an awsome story and pictures. Congratulations and I hope you get that second one sooner rather than later.

yotegetter

Reaction score
Great job davered1!!! That's a nice beast you got yourself! Hope you get the next one soon!

Mojave

Reaction score
WOW! What latitude are you at? Looks mighty cold there! Just the thought of wolves in the woods gives me the willys.

Brian S

Reaction score
man, davered1 you are a huntin machine since that accident. You have downed a wider array of 4 leggers in this one year than I'll probably do in the next 10 years, or ever for that matter. What the total so far?
congatulations
Brian

joatmon

Reaction score
Wow Daverd1 that is truley awesome you must be so excited. Tell me what did you use for a gun? What caliber?
Congradulations,
Bob

joatmon

Reaction score
One more question. What kind of camera did you use? Could you describe it?
Thanks,
Bob

davered1

Reaction score
joatmon,

Shot him with my 30-30 winchester at 65 yards freehand broadside,170 gr bullet.I tubed him out(skinned him) and he measured 7'6" from tip of nose to tip of tail.

I used a HOMEBREW game cam(both to get the live pics and the after pics),that I made myself thanks to jesse and a bunch of other diehards in the gamecam thread below.they will show you how to

Camera used is a Canon sure shot owl on timer mode.

THIS CAM TOOK HIS PICTURE

(Edited by davered1 at 9:21 am on Dec. 21, 2001)

lintongb

Reaction score
Davered1,
Very cool.  You don't see too many of those type of pictures around. Congrats.  Now if you can get that big grey one.

gizz

Reaction score
I'm more impressed Each time i see these pics.
You should be real happy with that harvest.
Now on to Big Foot :toast-yellow:

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I agree with Gizz, very impressive

Now I told you before, go get more clothes on, you're making me cold......Brrrrrrrrr

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom