Shot Size

hunter mike

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need a little advise.  I am going quail and grouse hunting this weekend and need to know the best shot size for these birds.  I have a bunch of 8 shot shells, think this will do?  If not what do you use ?  Thanks again.

Fubar

Reaction score
Quail are tough little critters. I prefer 7 1/2 . It depends on how far ahead of you they are flushing. If you have a dog and they are coming up right in front of you it doesnt really make much difference. If you are flushing them pretty far from you I would go as large as 6 shot.             Fubar

horseshoer

Reaction score
I agree with Fubar 7 1/2  shot would be an excellent
choice. Later in the season if you are hunting public ground where birds have been hunted hard you may want to go to 6 shot. Since they will not tolerate close quarter shooting........

Good Luck........

songdog

Reaction score
I ran out of 28ga shells last year for a couple of weeks and only had some #5 shells that I had reloaded and had sitting on the shelf for quite some time.  I grabbed them (certainly better than nothing) and took to the fields.  

I found that I killed more birds dead than with the normal smaller #8 shot and therefore didn't loose birds that didn't go down dead or crawled into a bush, etc.  I don't recall missing or hitting any more than with a load of #8 due to pattern density.

Still had plenty to eat too.  Seems like proximity and pattern density had more impact than shot size when it came to table fare.  I also didn't pick out the occasional pellet while sitting at the dinner table.

I don't know if I'd recommend it, in fact, I wouldn't have tried it unless I didn't have anything else, but it worked quite well for me last year.  I'll probably try it again this year.

Not a normal recommendation but just one more data point to consider...

hunter mike

Reaction score
I got my first grouse (ruffed) on Saturday.  I used the 8 shot.  I sort of had a hard time cleaning it (it was the first bird I've cleaned).  I only shot one but there were about four others that I flushed walking back.  I am going back up on Sunday with my buddy, hopefully we'll get a limit.

arizona jim

Reaction score
I was just gettting myself pumped up for the dove hunt (I know it is still 2 mos. away) & going thru my hunting stuff. I found my shotgun shells, and noticed all of the different shot sizes I had.  I was just wondering what everbody else uses for dove & quail ? - I like 7 1/2's for dove &  6's for quail. What do you people use?

shaginator

Reaction score
Always have had good results with 7 1/2's all around.

I've also used 9's with modified choke in the early morning with doves when they are a little closer and still fast, and then moved up to 6 by midday where they're a bit further back.

EVAN III

Reaction score
   I always use 7 1/2 shot for dove and quail.

EVAN III

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
# 8 for dove and quail.... I hear #6 being used a lot with great success, especially on quail, but I can't bring myself to trying it. Just doesn't sound right to me, but hey ya can't knock success.  

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I use 7 1/2 shot for dove & quail and 6 shot for chucker and pheasant.
sp

Irish Lad

Reaction score
I also use 7 1/2 for both.  I'll use high base later in the season.

tinner

Reaction score
i will use 71/2 or 8 all around. what ever is on sale. i dont see any difference :confused-yellow:, but i wouldn't golf any better with tigers clubs either. i did try some 9 one time, but it was my father's reload and i think he did something wrong, couldn't hit a thing. :cry-blue::shootin:

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I have used 7 1/2 for both. I have heard people who used #6 for quail. I might try that this year. Especially later in the season when they flush a mile in front of you.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I've always used 7 1/2 and 8 for both.  I tried 6 shot and from my mod/full double it pretty well mutilates the birds.  I know, mod/full ain't exactly an upland bird gun, but I prefer to shoot one gun for everything and the barrels on this old cannon are too thin for tubes.

arizona jim

Reaction score
The 6 shot I use for Quail is the low brass stuff. I will use the High brass 6 shot on Blue Grouse & Bandtail Pigeons.

docramo

Reaction score
Generally use 7.5 for dove and quail. Depends on which species of quail and where and time of season. Late season gambels in Az. we tend to step up to 6's if they are flushing far. Changing chokes and high base vs. low base can also tailor your shells to the conditions present. Hope I didn't confuse anyone!

songdog

Reaction score
1oz of #6 out of my 28ga for quail and 3/4oz of #8 for dove out of the same gun.  The #6s for quail has increased the percentage of birds that I hit and find.  Marginally hit dove flop around... marginally hit quail run.

tinner

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from songdog on 4:03 pm on July 7, 2002
Marginally hit dove flop around... marginally hit quail run.<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

well put songdog. i have never thought of it that way. i will rethink my shot size for quail this season.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom