Shotgun Plug

D-Zone

Reaction score
My dad has an older model Mossberg 12 guage, I would like to reduce the magazine capacity to hold 2, any suggestions for a plug, I was at Turners last night and they didn't carry any plugs. Would a pencil work?, or will it have to be a lil thicker? Any help would be appreciated.

BDB

Reaction score
I have no problems using pencils in my Rem 870.

jdhowe75

Reaction score
New unsharpened pencils work great. There is no force exerted on the pencil itself so it should be ok in your mossberg. If you are worried about it go to lowes and buy yourself a 3/8" dowell and cut it to size.
-jd

bzzboyz

Reaction score
I think I would be more comfortable with the dowell rod myself. I'm sure the pencil would work but I would like the piece of mind while out in the field you would get with the dowell.

By the way. Why do you only want to be able to load two shell's at a time?

Just curious.

And couldn't you just load two, instead of going to the trouble of putting in a different plug. But are you talking a total of two shells including the one in the chamber or are you talking a total of three with one in the chamber. If it's the latter then I understand.

D-Zone

Reaction score
California law..

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun;

bzzboyz

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
or are you talking a total of three with one in the chamber. If it's the latter then I understand.[/b]
Yea. I must have been editing my post as you were making your's.

D-Zone

Reaction score
I also have a piece of hard plastic about the size of a pencil i think i'll use. More durable of course.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
a pencil is a little on the narrow side, I would go with the 3/8" dia. dowel of wood or plastic, that is the approximate dia. of the plugs that come with most magazine type shotguns. One guy stated he's had no problem with a pencil in his 870, but you would assure yourself of no problems with a dowel of a larger dia.

D-Zone

Reaction score
so i'll just drop it in from the forend side or will ihave to remove the spring and the follower and put it in behind them? dropping it in from the forend will prob give me only enough for probably a pencil size.

Top Bottom