Shotgun Storage

WingSetter

Reaction score
Now that the season is over how are you storing your shotgun until next year.  Do you give it a good cleaning, and than coat with  WD-40. Or do you use some type of gun preserve than store away until next year.  I usually use  coat with WD-40 than put gun in case.  How do you other hunters store your guns.  

Jay

Reaction score
WD-40, fire a snap cap to release the hammer spring, put it in a silicone empregnated gun sock and put it in the gun safe.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Wingsetter:

Bring me that crooked shooting Benelli and I'll take care of it for you -- forever!

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Put it away?!?

I try to get out at least once a month for a round of sporting clays and 5 stand.

WingSetter

Reaction score
TriggerFinger,
I guess your a poet and don't know it.  Just sign your name on the dotted line and it's yours forever.

shaginator

Reaction score
I avoid WD-40 unless my shotgun gets soaked in rain or falls in the pond.

For long-term storage, I disassemble, then clean with Hoppe's 9. Wipe that down and then finish with CLP Breakfree or RemOil and put together. If I store it in a case, I make sure the case isn't made out of anything that attracts moisture (for example, cotton). I also throw in a bag of dessicant for good measure. In fact, dessicant is great to have around for storing ammo too.

WD-40 tends to gum-up and it actually attracts moisture over a long period of time. WD-40 was intended only for "[W]ater [D]isplacement", and that's what I use it for -- to get water out of my gun as quickly as possible. When I get home, I disassemble, and clean throughly with the stuff mentioned above.

When I was a kid, I didn't listen to my dad's advice and cleaned my .22 bolt action with Hoppe's and WD-40. Put it away, and then after not using it for a few years, noticed the bolt had frozen, because the WD-40 went gooey inside the action. Fortunately, a night's soak in CLP BreakFree loosened it back up :)

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
couldnt agree more on the use of WD 40.  That stuff is good for getting water away from the metal if you get it real wet, but crap for storage.  

Clean with Hoppes solvent and then coat with oil and put in a sack/gun case.

Desert Ducker

Reaction score
A gunsmith friend of mine made a sugestion...store a firearm with the barrel down and the butt up. That way any oil or solvents run out of the action and down and out of the barrel.

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
Desert Ducker is right. Storing the gun barrel down keeps the oil and solvents from running into the stock possibly causing it to crack. If I am going to store my guns for any length of time I use gun grease instead of oil. Stays on and doesn't run anywhere.

Darren

Reaction score
I don't think I would put it in a case for very long because after the oil wears off rust sets in.

THBailey

Reaction score
But how can you keep shooting the one shotgun when your other guns are all crying for attention??  I store mine in the gunsafe with a "goldenrod" dehumidifier in it.  No fuss, no muss, and no rust.

jerry d

Reaction score
I fully agree with the suggestions concerninig the use of Breakfree. That stuff is good for everything from a common cold to, now this is only what I've heard, that disease that causes a burning sensation when you pee.

Also agree with Jay about releasing the hammer spring. Some springs in older gun could take a "set" and not release fully after being stored compressed for a long period of time.

Can't store my guns in a muzzle down position. Still trying to figure a way to get the stock up through those little holes in the storage rack in my gun safe.

Whitey1

Reaction score
Wingsetter,
don't put it away yet take it to Missouri for the spring snow goose season, it might be the last one.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
At this momoent in tiome I only have one shotgun, so I don't have any others to play with.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Wingsetter:  I agree with Whitey1 -- don't put it away.  Hey, bring it on my boat when we charge over to Catalina -- with the size of the seabass I intend on catching this year, we may need your shotgun to dispatch them!

T F Coyote

Reaction score
I also use a coat of Breakfree oil to preserve the gun after cleaning.  I've heard Hoppes 9 and WD-40 will harm the finish (especially parkerized or painted) if left on too long.

I store my guns in a safe.  To dehumidify it, I use about twenty of the little silica packets that come with new leathergoods (like shoes, etc.).

foulshot

Reaction score
I'm with Karstic and Songdog, you have to get out to the range at least once a month.  I have three shotguns so thats gotta be good for at least once a week.

I was told to bring the pellet blaster out to the yote hunt on the first weekend of march.  So there is no use in putting it away at this time.  I clean it once a month if i'm going out everyweek.

Top Bottom