Shotgun suggestions

Robb

Reaction score
I am beginning a search for a new upland game over/under.  I have been shooting O/U's for years (12 gauge) and love them.  I have been looking at the Weatherby/SKB's Orion/385/585.  Anything else that I should be looking at?  (I like the Mod. Greener cross-bolt!)

songdog

Reaction score
I've been shooting a 28ga Red Label for the past 4-5 years and love it.  I bought it for dove and quail but find myself using it for everything except duck (I did find a couple boxes of Bismuth 28ga shells and shot it last duck opener at Wister though).  That includes pheasants, huns, mountain quail, chukar and sharptails.

I really like the light weight and haven't felt handicapped by the smaller shot charge.  The fact that it's actually a 28ga frame and not a 20ga frame with 28ga barrels is quite noticable.

Per almost anything that has a Ruger name on it, it's solid all the way around, the wood is a notch above what you would expect and the fact that you can get them out the door for less than $1000 is attractive too.

The only drawback, if I can think of one, is that with the light barrels it takes more than just the weight of those barrels to open the action.  Certainly not excessive by any means but you can't just move the lever over and let the weight of the barrels open the action like you can on most 12ga guns.

Try it, you'll like it.  And if you don't there will be plenty of other folks out there ready to take it off your hands.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
I'll back up Songdog on the Red Label.  It is a great little gun, light and easy to handle.  Also, Winchester loads some 1oz - 7.5 loads that effectively match the normal "dove/quail" loads for the 12 ga.  

Eric

huntducks

Reaction score
My choice would have to be a Beretta, I have a 20ga 686 Onyx and just bought a few mo. ago a 686 Quail unlimited 1-500 in 28ga a beautful gun and I paid $1450 + shipping and transfer, shot it dove hunting this past week what a great shooter also.

I have a several Ruger red labels and think they are fine guns also.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Let me clarify.  The Red Label is no Beretta, but it is an inexpensive (I got mine for $850.00 on sale) option.  I've seen the Beretta's and they are very nice.  

Eric

2curljohnny

Reaction score
i second that beretta, a buddy of mine had one this past weekend and what a FINE piece of work, but i hear ya on the price. but, you get what you pay for.i also like a citori, not to high on red labels, at least my old 20 ga.

MNHNTR

Reaction score
When it comes to shooting and weapons I have found that if you can't shoot what you are aiming at you might as well be carrying a stick.   I have shotgunned with Remington 1100's for years, but starting in 2000 I got a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon O/U 12 ga.  ...expensive !  but a very nice shotgun...Dove/Quail and sporting clays beware !!

(Edited by MNHNTR at 8:05 am on Sep. 8, 2001)

(Edited by MNHNTR at 8:06 am on Sep. 8, 2001)

Top Bottom