Shovelerslayer 1 gobblers 11

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Got a 2 year old this afternoon with my bow.  This is the 12th turkey I have worked this year ( all on land open to the public)!!!  What a banner year for birds.  He weighed 19.5 pounds and had a 7 inch beard.  Got him with a shot at the base of his fan at less than 10 feet....  Season ends at 4 and I got a response at 3:15 and had my bird by 3:40.. Spent the next 2 hours hiking out.  BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now for #2..

feelinducky

Reaction score
Congratulations.  I thought shotgun was tuff but with a bow.  Nice job

PowDuck

Reaction score
Excellent! Wow, 10 feet with a bow. Great job. Congratulations.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Congratulations.

Great accomplishment.

Good luck with #2.

KIDKY

Reaction score
just wondering how you set up on this bird shoveler.  been wanting to try turkeys with my bow just haven't really had any idea on how to actually go about it.  do you have a blind to set up in or what?  any help/advice is greatly appreciated, Ryan.

P.S.:  way to go man, killing one of these birds with a gun is hard enough, you the man...

:toast-yellow:

tomturkey

Reaction score
Way to go guy! That is quite an accomplishment. Good luck with your next bird.

tomturkey ;)

RSB

Reaction score
way to go! I have dreamed of getting one with a bow, then I get my shotgun.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Congrats!  Glad to hear the birds are getting hotter.  Sounds like a really nice bird especially with a bow!  

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Ryan,

If I have a bird that I am familiar with, or just a really good spot, I'll build a blind and work from that.  Otherwise I try to set up with something for the birds to step behind when they get close.  I have been busted more times than I want to admit when I tried to draw.  I am looking into a pop-up type blind, but as of yet have not bought one.  If I had one I feel I would have got to shoot at several birds that I had to let walk this year.  The bird I got was in love with the decoy  and spent all of his time in full strut.  For a bow that is the ideal set-up.  When he turns his fan directly towards you, you can draw and shoot.  
I am by no means an expert on this!!!!  I learned what little I know by lots of trial and error.  I started hunting with a bow because it gave me access to places that usually do not get hunted.  I have found that landowners are much more willing ( and amused) if you tell them you are using a bow.  After a while I found that I just enjoyed the bow more.  I still will grab the shotgun if I run into a bird that has made a fool out of me one too many times....

Tominator

Reaction score
Huge congrats on taking a public land bird with your bow!
Tominator

woodsman

Reaction score
CONGRATS shovelerslayer ! I was thinking of taking my bow out on oppening day .I hope I have your kind of luck:toothless:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Way to go Shovelerslayer. Hope you got some good pics of that tom. A turkey with a bow is one huge deed.

Big Bubba Daddy

Reaction score
Big congrats from one who has been giving it a go with a bow as well.  Haven't had the chance to draw YET!  For a set up, I just picked up a jake and a hen deek, I've read several times to put the two close together and have the jake facing me so Mr. Tom will face the jake and offer me a nice fan to shoot at.  Wish me luck.

Top Bottom