Shutter Hoods?

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I'll be starting to modify my Pelican 1120 soon and was considering making some sort of shutter hood to keep rain and snow off of the shutter lens. I've been noticing that probably most completed cam units that I've seen pics of don't use one. I don't want to make more work for myself if it's not necessary and was wondering what the general feeling is of having or not having them is. I could see using one as being a problem depending on how/where it was mounted as snow could accumulate and hang down off of it but I can also see it benefiting as well. Not sure what to do. Suggestions/opinions?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I put one on my first cam, it was made of clear plastic. That was the first mistake,  the flash went into the plastic and made a white rainbow accross the top of all my pictures. From my experience, you can't make a hood that will keep all the rain, sleet, and snow away from you lens. I use rain-x and that works pretty well. If you just have a couple drops on the lens, it doesn't affect the pictures much anyway. But , that's just my opinion...

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I don't use one either but it don't rain a whole lot here anyway.  I am thinking about a rubber inner tube flap over the push button switches tho, since I don't have any rubber boots that fit them.....

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Never used them until I was forced to make some a couple winters back due to some wierd weather we were having.  Since I tend to beat up my cams (the bears also take a toll) - the things had to be sturdy.  I used 3" PVC pipe caps.  The first time out the suckers filled up with snow - the caps made a perfect little shelf for snow to collect on.  Then I cut the bottom 1/3 off at an angle so snow would fall through without building up.  Works great in snow and rain - also helps keep direct sun from the lens and sensor.

Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 10:45 am on May 29, 2002)

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I use the aluminum from a can. I just cut them in a half moon shape. Seems to work well.

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 4:02 pm on May 29, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Past wax or airplane windshield cleaner on the glass would help bead up the water and make it run off.

swampfox

Reaction score
I just cut a moon shaped piece off of a hard plastic vitamin bottle and hot glue it on the front of my case. i then cover it with camo tape..check it out here! theres a pic

http://www.community.webshots.com/u...dited by swampfox at 2:01 pm on May 29, 2002)

Rooter

Reaction score
The top cover off of the MS20 makes a good rain shield.  It needs a little trimming with the dremel tool and it is a nice fit.

Rooter

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
On mine i used a piece of sweeper hose from my wifes old sweeper.Just cut it about 2.5" long and then cut in half like a half moon. They are flexiable and coragated so that the water runs off like a spouting. I just used gasket maker on the top and bottom and it is real flexiable. Don't have to worry about knocking it off in my back pack. You can see it on my cam. Had it in the rain for two days and no problems with pics.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom