BuckSnort

Reaction score
I'm starting to get the hang of this stuff.Here is a pic of a creek with a slow shutter speed.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Hey Bucksnort.  Great action shot!  Although many "pros" don't like the misty water look, I love it (especially ocean shots).  One hint for you when you shoot contrasting tones like this.  When you first go to focus your camera, take a meter reading with the in-camera meter (if you are on Program or Auto this will not work) and read a middle-tone gray area when you go to take the shot.  That way you will have a base to work from when setting your exposure compensation.  Let me know what kind of camera you have and the settings you used to shoot this.  I might be able to give you some ideas on where to set the compensation in order to lighten the bushes up a bit and still get the misty water look!  

I lightened it up a bit in Photoshop.  I didn't do anymore because it may have blown out the whites.  It is a great shot though!!  I'm glad you are going at it full-bore and learning!

Eric

BuckSnort

Reaction score
WOW that made a big difference.I'm actually just starting to learn all this stuff,but I just recently got a digital camera (C2100UZ) and it is cool to be able to see the pics insted of having to wait untill they get developed.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Good job Bucksnort. Where is the pic from?

Those long shutter water pics are so cool. It's why I bought my camera. For years I saw pics like that in my Missouri Conservationist magazine of streams and creeks of Missouri and I wanted to learn how to do it.

BuckSnort

Reaction score
Thanks Jesse.This is Bear Creek it's off of the Mckinley Grove Rd. bettween Shaver Lake and Wishon Lake.

I am wanting to get a  slow shutter speed pic at night of a freeway so I can get the streaming taillight and headlight effect.

karstic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bucksnort were you using a tripod and the remote or did you do it handheld?

I have a 2100 also and want to start experiment with different appeture/ shutter speeds.

Eric, would have using a wider apeture brightened up the shot? Although thats the nice thing about digitals and software you can manipulate the photos after the shot.

(Edited by karstic at 4:08 pm on June 26, 2002)

BuckSnort

Reaction score
karstic,

No tripod,just the image stabilization.One thing I learned is that I have to take a pic like this when it is not bright outside,or the slow shutter speed gathers to much light (even with the apature set up/down).

Top Bottom