Sighting in my two air rifles?

OPAH

OK I have two one lunger air rifles, one 1250fps W/PBA and the second 1650fps W/PBA, subtract 200fps for Leaded, thinking 100 feet would be Max shot for (smaller game) Rabbits down.
Was looking at starting at 25 feet to get the nickel then 50 and again at 100, depending on the drop from 100 and 50 I would decide where to zero. Are these rifles consitant enough to obtain a good zero point?

Air rifles 011.jpg

Last edited:

inchr48

I think you should be thinking in feet, not yards for your air gun shooting. Pellets don't carry much energy down range even with good velocity. I shoot at 25 and 50 feet for target practice.

g791

I take squirrels out at 30 yards so 90ft but haven't shot any rabbits only a couple that come in my yard but don't want to take em out.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Stevehazard

Use an artillery style hold when shooting them, particularly the lower velocity one. If you don't let the gun recoil straight back when firing it's can be easy to pull shots cause you can move slightly before the pellet leaves the barrel. Look to see if one of the good air gun reviewers has done testing with your model rifles and try to find out what kind of pellets produce good groups with your guns. They do make a difference.

Are these both .177? And what models are they?

bughalli

You usually lose accuracy at those higher speeds. Go heavier pellets to settle it down. Sites like Pyramid Air sell variety packs so you can see what yours like. ....but pretty sure you'll be slowing it down to get accuracy.

OPAH

Always felt faster was better, The Gamo hunter Extreme is a heavy Bull Barrel 1650fps and feels like a real rifle, The Gamo Whisper Silent Cat is tons lighter, feels like a pellet rifle not a real rifle 1250fps, I was looking at the Variety packs, but will 99% of the time be shooting in a non-lead zone. I have 3 different non lead pellets 3 different brands so hopefully one will stand out.
Question: If I sight in the scope and remove it put it in a soft non banging around place and put it back on latter it should still be in the ball pack correct?
reason My Grandson will be learning with it and he will start with the sights on the rifle, after that I will put the scope back on and teach he to sight it in and shoot with the scope.
If the scope is not going to be close when I put it back on then why waste the pellets sighting it in now.

OPAH

OK new Knowledge:
anything close to 1000fps can make the pellet unstable ( SB shockwaves 1125fps )
So the trick now is to get a Grain pellet that will travel 900 to 950fps for the best accuracy
the benefit to the higher speed is the ability to shoot heavy wieght pellets which will give you accuracy and better stopping power.
The Hunter Extreme 1650fps I'm looking at a 10+ grain pellet
the Whisper Cat 1250fps I'm looking at a 7+ grain pellet
the things you learn with new toys

Stevehazard

Use lead pellets. They are air rifles, NOT firearms.

From the CA DFG site.
"Since pellet rifles are not firearms, the use of lead projectiles in pellet rifles is not prohibited."

OPAH

No can do, I am baby sitting some state property (preserve) and it is totally Non lead.

Top Bottom