Silver receiver in the duck blind?

NeilKomadoski

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with that? My limited experience is that if you hold still and keep the gun where it belongs until it's time to shoot it doesn't matter. But I've seen the sun reflect off a silver receiver from a long distance and it's pretty apparent. What do the Ducks think?

7mallards

Banned
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question but guys also forget about sunglasses and their pie holes shine like no tomorow too.. You have to make it a point to conceal everything and limit movement which never happens because as soon as you say "hold still" all parties move to try to find the birds...

solus

Reaction score
Also sweaty oily skin will flare birds. If it shines itll draw attention. Ive seen ducks turn there heads and stare at objects and flare after.

Limited Out

Reaction score
I just bought a super sport (silver receiver) for upland hunting, and I was telling my son that I would consider taking it for waterfowl next season instead of one of our camo SBEs. He said I am crazy, "use a camo SBE for the mud and the blood". If this new gun works out shooting Euros all summer I may try it on a few ducks next season. One thing that has help me is to always utilize shadows when available. I try to use the existing cover to shadow myself or the entire boat/blind. When I can, I will park myself or the boat, in tight, on the shady side of a tree or tule patch in the early morning. This seems to improve things a bit and helps cut down the reflective/movement issues. This might be an over simplification and I bet a lot of you guys are already doing this. I hunt with a lot of different folks all season and am always surprise to see some of these guys sitting in bright sunlight when there is a shady spot available.

Last edited:

rainingmallards

Reaction score
anything that shines is a bad deal on weary birds.....we have 40 plus blinds in Northeast Arkansas and about
as many birds as you can imagine being in the heart of the MS Flyway and there are times that Literally
anything will spook a bird....so yes nothing that shines

7mallards

Banned
Reaction score
I think more pie holes flare birds then any receiver ever has..... Guys always wanna look up at the birds and be assured they see those pie holes and the sun glasses on your hat too.... The receiver probably is a very small percentage of the reason birds flare..

k_rad

Reaction score
I think more pie holes flare birds then any receiver ever has..... Guys always wanna look up at the birds and be assured they see those pie holes and the sun glasses on your hat too.... The receiver probably is a very small percentage of the reason birds flare..
Much as I hate to, I have to agree with 7 on this one. Most of the time my receiver is the last thing to move and by then it's too late (for the birds). Still, I like to give myself every advantage. Wild things have much more experience at survival than I do. That's why I was given a brain to even the odds...

Top Bottom