Silverwood lake campout dates and info

EVAN III

Reaction score
    I need to know how many of you are planning on attending. Please include family and friends.  

The dates I have in mind are July 26,27,and 28. Fri- thru-sunday.

Here is some info about the lake.
Silverwood Lake was formed by the 249-foot Cedar Springs Dam. At 3,350 feet, it is the highest reservoir in the State Water Project. The park features hiking trails, swimming beaches and designated areas for boating, water-skiing and fishing. The lake has trout, large-mouth bass, catfish and bluegill. There is a marina with a launching ramp, boat and equipment rentals, and a store. The park has picnic areas, including three that can only be reached by boat. The lakes attracts waterfowl, raptors and songbirds. Canada Geese and an occasional bald eagle can be seen in the area.
The park is located via Highway 138, 11 miles east of I-15; or 20 miles north of San Bernardino via Highways 18 & 138.
Silverwood Lake, CA,

Group  
Developed  $ 18.00 - $ 150.00  
Primitive (Undeveloped)  $ 8.00 - $ 62.00  
Enroute/Overflow  Same as campsite fee  
Horses (Add $2 per additional horse for more than 2 horses)  $12.00  
Trail/Hike and Bike  $ 1.00 per person  
Cabin Rentals  $10.00 - $25.00  
Lake Oroville SRA Floating  $42.00  

Other  
Showers  $ .25 - $.50  
Sanitation Dump Use  
Registered Campers  Free  
Unregistered Campers  Same as day use fee  
Hookups  $6.00 additional per site  
Additional Motor Vehicle (Driven)
(Most campsites are limited to two vehicles)  
First Additional Vehicle  Free  
Subsequent Vehicles  Same as day use fee  

Group Camping

Group campsites accommodate groups as small as 9 or as large as 100, depending on the park. At some campgrounds, group sites can be combined for larger groups. Your reservation agent can help you with names and locations of these campgrounds.

Youth groups (under 18 years of age) must be accompanied by at least 1 adult for every 15 youths.

Stays are limited to 7 nights.

Here are some helpfull fishing tips for those who need a little advise

http://www.ncbf.com/tips.html

If you have any more questions feel free to E-mail me or post them here. Once I get a better idea as to how many will be attending, I will find out some more specifics .

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
I'm probably going there this saturday. Do you happen to know what the parking fee is for a car just to park and fish for the day? And more importantly, will they accept an annual national forest pass, or if not is there any place to park outside that is close enough to walk?

Thanks

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Silverwood Lake is a state run recreation area. the NF Adventure Pass cannot be used to park there. According to the CA state parks website parking fees are $2-3. Thats probably the only decent thing Gov. lowbeam did was to lower the State park fees.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Dazco:  Silverwood is a state recreation area, so they don't take adventure passes.  You can go to the Millers canyon side and use your adventure pass to park at the motorcycle staging area.  There you can fish the Mojave River which is stocked and flows from Lake Gregory to Silverwood lake via Millers canyon.  Fish it down to Millers cove at Silverwood lake, and then fish the lake.  
Castaic, Silverwood, Perris, are all state recreation areas, so they have the same fee. The state has a annual pass that is good at state parks, beaches, and recreation areas.  I don't know how much it is now days. Pyramid lake above Valencia is a Natl. Forrest lake, so you may be able to use your adventure pass there.  Big Bear lake, and Lake Gregory are free to fish, but you may need your adventure pass to park in certain areas.  

dazco

Reaction score
You can go to the Millers canyon side and use your adventure pass to park at the motorcycle staging area

Can i walk to the lake from there? (a mile of so is ok....2 or 3 isn't)

And does anyone know a site with  a detailed map of the lake and it's entrances and such?

Thanks,-Dale

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
It's probably only a few hundred yards to the lake depending on the water level.  You can probably find a website for silverwood that will have maps.  There's only one drive in entrance to the lake.  If you go past (east bound) that about a half a mile the entrance to Millers canyon is on your left (northside).
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=379...Silverwood+Lake
Look at the red +.  A San Bernardino Thomas guide should have the street names.  

(Edited by Bishop at 1:58 pm on May 1, 2002)

dazco

Reaction score
Thanks for that.....i think i can find it pretty easily. Now if i can just find the fish. :smile-big-blue:

Hook

Reaction score
Count me, the wife and kid in. Evan III does the group camp site have hokups? If not I will have to get a seperate site for my home on wheels.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Bishop

Just a little clarification... although Castaic is a SRA it is administered I believe by DWP and has its own parking fee and annual pass. The state annual pass is not valid at Castaic. The State annual pass is $35. I belive the annual pass at Castaic is about $70-$80.

EVAN III

Reaction score
    Hook,
Not sure if the group campsite has hookups, I will find out as soon as I can.

Dazco,
The day pass is $ 3 a day. I don't know how much gear or ice chest your bringing, but it might be worth the money.

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
Sure. 3 bucks is fine. But do i get driving access to much of the shoreline? If not, and i have to walk to get from the parking area to wherever i want to go, i may as well use my adventure pass and park outside as bishop said. (he said it's only a couple hundred yard walk to the lake)

EVAN III

Reaction score
     Dazco,
There are several parking lots around the lake, some are only a 15 yards from the water. If you are looking for more remote areas on the lake it might be better to enter from miller canyon.

So how many are in for the camping?

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
Yes, i do want remote. Millers canyon........isn't that at the very south end of the lake?

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Back to the original intent of this post, I'd be up for that weekend also. No hookups needed for me.

Brian S

Reaction score
I should be able to make and break out the tent. Probably have my 7 year old with me he caught his first trout this past weekend and now he's hooked.
Brian

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">Work permitting - I'm in.  I'll be bringing along two seasoned fishing veterans (ages 7 & 12).  Dry camping is OK by us. I should have a few test runs on the aluminum boat by then.</font>

Thonzberry

Reaction score
The last time I went to Silverwood, it was in August a few years back and lines to get on the lake were crazy. From the time we got in line to the time we got the boat in the water it was a 3 hr. wait. I can't remember if it was a holiday weekend or not. I hope you all don't get the lines I did. Have fun and Good Luck.

dazco

Reaction score
Well, i went there today, but came home fishless ! I caught one on a ratl trap, but he threw the lure a couple feet from shore. Got about 10 hits on tubes and worms, but couldn't set the hook.......smart fish? I dunno !

Anyway, i was on the day use side of cleghorn, which was choppy and muddy within an hour after i started. On the other side i could see glassy water in many areas along the shore. I wanted to go there but was told by a ranger that only those with camping permits could park on that side, and that i'd get a ticket if i did. So i reluctanly went back to the day use side. Then as i'm about to leave, a friend of mine who had said he might show up found me. He said he'd been fishing the "camping" side and that you CAN park there even with just day use admittance. (which is indeed $3 as someone said earlier in the thread)

So anyway, i had a lousy day after driving 200 miles round trip thanks to an incompetent ranger. I may never go there again, but if i do, whats the real deal on day use for the south side of cleghorn, and are there any spots that are good, or to avoid?

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Count me in.  Maybe I'll be able to pry the spouse out of the office.

(Edited by FullSack at 11:04 pm on May 4, 2002)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom