Single Glass Users

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I have tried searching for posts on single glass for both the flash and lens.  All I come up with is testimonials on two glass set-ups.  I do remember reading about guys using one piece and recall they worked ok.  

I'm not looking for a hundred answers from guys using two pieces. (no offence intended)  All my camera so far use the double glass approach too.  I have never had any flash bleed and I dont seal the flash in any way.  The foam keeps the camera presses against the glass and I couldn't ask for better pictures.  

I would like to here from the guys using a single piece; sucesses and failures.  How is it working and how do the pictures look.  Sure would make life simpler.  

davered1

Reaction score
AEH,

I use the single glass sometimes. I made this camera in about 45 minutes. It has no flash bleed a all. I think if flash can leave enclosure in the proper direction you won't get any flash bleed. this camera has 1 pices 1/8 inch thick of 1 1/4 pipe insulation around shutter thats it.

whitetailfan

Reaction score
AEH, I have just finished my cam within the last month and at first I used a single piece of glass out of laziness I suppose. :sleep: I didn't like the pic quality and it seemed to have a bit of bleed-through. Then I went on and put in a Skylight filter and a separate piece of glass for the flash and I could REALLY see a difference. :biggergrin: I can post some of the before/after pics for you if you'd like. Hope this helps.

imadeerhntr

Reaction score
I use a single piece of glass, I only seal the shutter and I get great pics and my glass is the cheap 2by2 picture frames from dollar general, you get 6 in a set for 2 dollars

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
AEH there is nothing better than a picture to show how things Can turn out,my first cam is made with a single pane of glass,it is all i had and it came from a storm window the wife broke.I have gave this camera to a good freind of mine but got seveal rolls out of it and the all lokked like this one.

Now if you go to my Webshots and look the pics with flash bleed came from a cam that has 2 peices of glass,i just didnt seal it off good enough.

(Edited by Passthru at 3:09 am on May 29, 2002)

CharlesM

Reaction score
I have 2 Homebrews both have single glass no bleed at all.The foam is the trick.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, thats what I was looking for.  I don't disagree that two pieces is probably the best route to go, but it seems if it's done right a single will work fine.  I think I'll try one and see.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi AEH,
In the "old days" I tried using single piece plexi and regular glass.  Got a fair amout of 'wash-out' in the upper corner where the flash is.  Strange thing - different kinds of high quality plexi gave different results - some washed out much less than others.  Wish I had kept notes on all that stuff! :-(

Archilochus

yooper

Reaction score
Archilochus,

My first camera was made out of a plexiglass box. I then had 2 seperate pieces of plexiglass for the shutter and flash. Regardless of how much foam I placed between the two, I would always get washout. I showed a coworker the problems I was having, and he explained to me that plexiglass acts as a fiberoptic. Any light that passes directly through the glass, allows some light to travel in the horizontal and vertical directions, right out the edge of the plexiglass. Hope this helps.

Bownut

Reaction score
Have made two different cams using a single piece of 1/8" window pane glass.  Both take great pictures without any sign of washout.  I also insulate around the flash.

woodsman

Reaction score
Never had a problem with a single piece of glass AEH,
All my take great pictures that way.:toothless:

gantley

Reaction score
i used lexan in my first camera.  i suspeced i would have flash bleed.  i did flash bleed very bad.  this could have had some to do with the fact i used lexan or the camera was not placed very well.    i feel that lexan is not a clear as glass.  therefore when the flash went off, light feed thru the one pain of lexan the same way fiber optic cables works and the camera cought the flash.  

to resolve the issue, i cut a slot completly thru the lexan causing a physical seperation of the flash and camera lens.  this worked.

i suspect that 'real' glass is much clearer than lexan.  so a single pain of 'real' glass would provide better if not perfect resluts.

after seeing davered's one paine, i am willing to hack up a box and give it a try!  you could make a 'L' bracket with a 5/16 inch hole in the top for the tripod mount on the camera.  use a wing nut on a piece of all thread backed up by a jam nut.  then run a nylon lock nut down the all thread to set the deapth...hum....  i am getting out of context here....sorry

Top Bottom