sitka-downpoor or 90 % jacket

huntin geek

Reaction score
i have decided to upgrade but i cant decide between the two,i hunt in sw washington(year round)and idaho in nov.i like the idea of dp stuff bein totaly wp but is it going to breath as much as the 90% jacket,is the dp jacket durable?how water proof is the 90%jacet,does it breath,is it too hot for september(70-80 degrees),is it wind proof?

any info would be greatly apriciated before i drop a few hundred dallors

SDHNTR

Reaction score
They are two totally different garments. Apples to oranges. The DP is a hard shell that is meant for the worst rain you might encounter. There is no insulation so it is not meant to keep you warm. The 90% is a soft shell. It has a water resistant coating that is fine for a passing shower but you don't want to get caught in a Wasington downpour with just the 90%. It will, however, keep you warm in active conditions and it breathes very well, especially with the pit zips open, but you are not going to need it in 70-80 deg temps. In fact, I don't think I'd be too worried about a jacket in those kind of temps. It blocks the wind quite well and will be fine in all but the worst wind storms. That is why they call it the 90% jacket. 90% of the time, it's all you're going to need. I hope that helps.

huntin geek

Reaction score
thanks sd,i think im goin with the dp jacket,i like the idea of the 90% bein breathable but i cant afford to get wet.

huntin geek

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDHNTR @ May 2 2008, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It will, however, keep you warm in active conditions and it breathes very well, especially with the pit zips open, but you are not going to need it in 70-80 deg temps. In fact, I don't think I'd be too worried about a jacket in those kind of temps.[/b]
so for september hunts when you could be gone for a few days and the weatherman says its going to be sunny do pack a water proof jacket?

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huntin geek @ May 2 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDHNTR @ May 2 2008, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will, however, keep you warm in active conditions and it breathes very well, especially with the pit zips open, but you are not going to need it in 70-80 deg temps. In fact, I don't think I'd be too worried about a jacket in those kind of temps.[/b]
so for september hunts when you could be gone for a few days and the weatherman says its going to be sunny do pack a water proof jacket?
[/b][/quote]

Yes! Always take some rain gear with you on a trip into the mountains. You must be prepared for the worst when in the back country. On a trip like you mention I always carry very light weight packable rain gear.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Heck yes! Never go into the high country without rain gear.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom