Sitka vs. Wool

rwlittle

Reaction score
Howdy,

I need to purchase some gear for an upcoming Colorado elk trip in late Sept. I have heard great things about wool and great things about Sitka gear. Does anyone have opinions or experiences?

Thanks

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Sitka, Is some good stuff, last fall temps in the 20 and I was good to go for 3-4 hours in a treestand.......just get some good gloves to keep warm.

The layer system works great drys faster than wool and is light weight.

The only draw back is the hat sucks! and the gloves are for mild temps.

They have a new line in 08 that is for colder temps Celius or something like that. A couple people have tried the new line on for size but that's all I know.

I'm waiting for the backpack!

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
I'd go with the Sitka gear. For an active hunt like chasing elk, i think layers are important and you need something that will dry quick.........get the 90% jacket a few top layers with the mtn pant (might be able to pick up an older model on sale).

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
I own both the Sitka Gear and King of the Mountain Wool. For a more active hunt I would also go with the Sitka...It's lighter and dries much faster. Wool with he right layers is also very good. They both see a lot of use depending on the hunt.

fishnhuntfreak

Reaction score
wow
i used to think that sitka gear was extremly expensive till just now when i looked at the king of the mountain wool 436 big ones for a pair of pants! that stuff better come shipped to my door with a p&y buck !!!

Archer32

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fishnhuntfreak @ Apr 12 2008, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
wow
i used to think that sitka gear was extremly expensive till just now when i looked at the king of the mountain wool 436 big ones for a pair of pants! that stuff better come shipped to my door with a p&y buck !!![/b]
Your not joking... I read his bio, its because he made $37,500 a month as a broker.... LOL! I'll use their prices as leverage to persuade my wife that Sitka gear is cheap in comparision.

To the question.... I'd go with the Sitka gear for elk hunting... I'd get all the pieces minus the 90% pants. They are hot for early season. I prefer the Mountain pants much more, even when its colder. My legs never really get that cold. If you can't find any 07 stuff, you'll probably be waiting until this July.

Justin Charles has a nice line of wool clothing. I know lots of guys that use it for stand hunting.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom