Skinning Your Dog

David

Reaction score
Having not ever taken a coyote, I'm not sure where to start with the skinning.  Are there any sites that show the process / method of removing the hide?  Whats your method?

Dakota

Reaction score
There are basicly two ways to do it.  The tube method and for lack a a better term the levi cut.  Start with the yote hanging head down.  Cut around each rear leg and then cut down a seam of each leg like the seam on a pair of levis.  Cut down to the tail on each side, then around the bung and genitals.  Next cut up the stomach to a point parallel to the forelegs.  Cut out to each foreleg on another seam, and around the top of each leg again as you did the rear legs.  Now cut up to the chin from the point you stopped.  Return to the tail, pull the hide down each rear leg until it reaches the tail.  Take two screwdrivers and put them on each side of the tail and squeeze them together and pull.  The tail bones and flesh will slide out of the tail.  Then split the tail (hide).  Pull the hide up to the ears and cut at the base of the ears, pull to the nose and cut at the nose.

The tube method, start with the same levi cut but don't cut up to the stomach and chin.  Pull the rear leg hide down, do the tail then continue to pull the hide off like pulling a sweatshirt off someone else.  Cut at the ear base and nose.

songdog

Reaction score
Come on out to the Arrowhead hunt and we'll show you first hand.

Like Dakota says though, if you've ever seen those little kids clothes where they have the snaps up the inseam of both legs... just cut like that, put the knife down and start pulling like crazy.  It's a lot easier if it's hanging about head high.

Good luck!

yotegetter

Reaction score
I thought Jesse had a link on how to skin coyotes somewhere around here. I can't seem to find it.

Top Bottom