Skull Boats

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Hi all, do any one of you duck hunters use a skull boat for hunting, if so, what areas do you hunt. I usually hunt Clifton Court Fore bay west of Tracy, but this year I would like to try some place differant. Any comments or information would be greatley appreciated.
                                                                           Thanks
                                                                           Wild Bill

Loomis

Reaction score
hey bill check out lake alamanor there is great opportunities for skulling there..The Humbolt NWR has a no motor area that's great and in the South bay the Ravenswood NWR(SF Bay NWR) can have knockout shoots with little to no pressure from other hunters.hope this helps

hunthog

Reaction score
I agree, Lake Almanor would be a good choice for skulling.  Lot's of Honkers there, as well, during the first week of the season.  Skulling could easily get you under some of those near the west shore.  A few floater Honker decoys would really help you with that.  Thousands of birds raft up out on the lake once the shooting starts.  The west side tends to be more protected if it's windy but access is troublesome since they built a fence that has access but through those angled openings designed to keep vehicles out (and probably hunters if they could).  Just another example of the take away of public access to public lands that runs amock in CA.

hunthog

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Thanks Loomis and Huntdog for the info you sent me about Lake Almanor and Ravenswood NWR. Information was greatly appreciated.
                                          Wild Bill

Jay

Reaction score
Just wondering if them "skull" boats fly that old pirate flag?????

Megadeth

Reaction score
Jay, dont forget the film when you go out to dress up your blind. Its always nice to see dem pictures. Anticipation is sometimes more thrilling than the hunt.

Jay

Reaction score
I pulled the plug on the salt pond blind this year.

Out of about 12 trips last season my blind shot:

- 5 spoonies
- 1 widgeon

Could have shot all the buffleheads and goldeneyes I wanted but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Jay, I only fly the pirate flag when I get my limit, since I hardly ever get my limit I leave the skull and cross bone flag at home, LOL.
                                                Wild Bill

Loomis

Reaction score
Jay how much did you pay for your salt pond blind, curious?

Jay

Reaction score
I paid $250 + $25 insurance. I got a good deal though since I was willing on standby will the possiblity of being bumped from the blind.

Loomis

Reaction score
Jay do you have any contact info for blind leases i'm looking for on in the salt ponds?
can you e-mail me directly....fetchuphere@yahoo.com
thanks

Latest Posts

Top Bottom