Slate Calls

bn2hunt

Reaction score
I actually use 2 different types. I use the Primose alumislate and the power crystal. They have different pitches and being able to vary the sounds seem to help me, especially since I have never been able to get a handle on the diaphragm call. I had another one that I lost called the alluminator not sure who made it and I haven't been able to find it since to replace it.

bbcustomboxcalls

Reaction score
NickolaKangrga,
If you would go to the custom calls section you can see the slates that work great for me.
Bill

skeeterbait

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in Cody friction calls. http://www.codyturkeycalls.com I started with a pair (glass and slate) of their Cody II's and later moved up to a pair of Woodsmans. The more expensive there call is the better resonance it has. But I think the Spec I and World Class calls are excessively priced for hunting. They might be a consideration for turkey calling competition.

Their slates have an unbelievably realistic tone, as does their glass, just a bit higher pitch. The sweet spot on these calls is around the green circle on the glass calls. The slate has no markings but the sweet spot is in the same area on the call.

Attachments

fortyfive70

Reaction score
I have several, but my fav is a sothland glass over glass mounted in a purbleheart pot....I am a firm believer in different strikers though...they make your slate or glass call shine from a sweet sounding young hen to an ol' raspy hen.

CLDhunter

Reaction score
I use an "Ole Yeller" slate and it does a good job for me. Real easy to use and it makes good sounds. Can't remember who makes it off hand perhaps hunter specialties?

Primos makes the "freak" gflass call which straps to your leg so there is no fumbling...which we all know happens when your hands start to shake as that gobbler crests into view!!!!! LOL

donnelly

Reaction score
I bought the yella hammer from knight and hale...It sounds pretty good.

RR1

Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument, but if you give a good caller a cheap call and a bad caller the most expensive call, the good caller will call in more turkeys. Not saying we should buy cheap calls, just that we shouldn`t discount the value of practice and technique. Just my
worth.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RR1 @ Mar 16 2008, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not trying to start an argument, but if you give a good caller a cheap call and a bad caller the most expensive call, the good caller will call in more turkeys. Not saying we should buy cheap calls, just that we shouldn`t discount the value of practice and technique. Just my
worth.[/b]
So true for all calling of game........I'm not saying I'm a great caller, but I use a couple of low priced pots, Lohnman slate and Primos crsystal. Both seem to work very well.......

RR1

Reaction score
Never did answer the question. I use mostly mouth calls and a wingbone. I have a regular size slate call I never use and (don`t laugh) HS Lil Deuce double glass that I have used with good results. I like the small size and it produces crisp, high pitched yelps and clucks. $12.95 with carbon striker and glass roughing pad.

fortyfive70

Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with you RR1,, but a good caller can be a lousy turkey hunter.. good calling ability is just a small % of what turkey hunting is about.

more important is your woodsmanship and the knowledge of the area...then maybe your calling ability.

a small cluck and purr is not hard to produce....but buying a more expensive call is not to make better sounds....because you can make realistic sounds with the cheap bargin basement plastic one too. I buy a more expensive one because someones artistic craftsmanship went into it, and I know he is proud of that product he puts out and uses it himself in the field...

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I've got a couple laying around here. Cody, Ole yeller, Primos. JHO custom made by Gene's Turkey Calls.

I like that Ole Yeller for when it's raining, with the Frictionite surface and one of them Super Strikers that thing will play underwater even.

I like friction calls but finding a striker to play them is the trick. Try laminated strikers and a flared tip striker also.

Many of the low end friction calls come with a soft wood striker that doesn't grab real good. You can burn the end of these strikers with a lighter to make them grab more.

RR1

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fortyfive70 @ Mar 19 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry to disagree with you RR1,, but a good caller can be a lousy turkey hunter.. good calling ability is just a small % of what turkey hunting is about.

more important is your woodsmanship and the knowledge of the area...then maybe your calling ability.

a small cluck and purr is not hard to produce....but buying a more expensive call is not to make better sounds....because you can make realistic sounds with the cheap bargin basement plastic one too. I buy a more expensive one because someones artistic craftsmanship went into it, and I know he is proud of that product he puts out and uses it himself in the field...[/b]
No problem foryfive70, my post addressed calling in particular and not turkey hunting in general. Sorry if I implied that a good caller could automatically close a deal. I agree with your entire post, especially the reason for buying custom calls.

gozarca2

Reaction score
A quality call will enable your sounds to sound better, with less effort/practice. But even a bad call in the right hands can do wonders.

I use a knight & hale, can't recall the name just name...its green, sounds really clear...mostly like a younger hen, but in the middle of the call or a different striker makes it sound more raspy.

However, the best advice is to study up on different types of calling techiques & situations. Yeah your yelps, puts & purrs. But also kee-kee run (which i can't master, and read somewhere it only really works in the fall), fast/agressive/excited clucking. You should also have a few strikers and a few different calls. This year, i'm taking in 2-3 mouth calls (they all sound a little different and work great in wind because of their volume), and my slate w/2 strikers (wood & carbon for rain).

Drawing a tom away from his group of hens is tough. If the hen is talking, REPEAT what she is doing. She'll get pissed (or curious) and come right to you, bringing the tom w/her. It may take a while but patience is very important with turkeys. If a tom holds up just out of range, you could stop calling all together and finally he may come in. Or if he can't see you, you could have a buddy or you walk back 50yds and do a walk-away yelping, like 'hey, i'm leaving you dumb-a$%, better come get me'. then squat back down. Using a gobbler in that situation may work too, as an old tom doens't want a jake taking his prize.

2yrs ago, my brother & i got 2 toms by calling in the hens with them. Last year, i called in tom by copying the hen w/him. Took about 45minutes but they came UP a steep hill to us. Which i hear is rare.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Lot easier to call them up a hill than down a hill. Seems like turkeys aught to all be standing on mountain tops no more than they are willing to walk down a hill.

I have had fairly good results calling toms from hens doing fight'n purrs and hard cutts on a slate call. Seems a fair number of toms are spoiling for a fight and will leave hens for a chance to tie up in a spur'n match.

Jesse's right about the strikers. They are the secret to good calling on pot calls. Having different strikers is like having more calls in your vest. The flaired tip laminated strikers are the bomb. Take a look at the Woodhaven Strike Three strikers. They run my calls better than any other strikers I own.

When I started turkey hunting I started with the least expensive calls I could buy. Probably no call makes any better sound than a cheap plastic Primos power crystal. But later I started wanting to carry custom and vintage calls. I think pride in ownership and use has a place in turkey hunting and is worth a little extra cash. I have a pair of 40+ year old Lynch boxes that belonged to my father I really enjoy hunting with. And when I pull a pot out of my vest, why not use one made of an attractive piece of hardwood instead of molded plastic? Holding a call that you find pleasing in appearance as well as sound adds to the enjoyment of the day.

Top Bottom