Sleeping bag and pad recommendations

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Need proper ones.
The sleeping bag and pad I have are old, too big, crap, etc. not good to try backpacking with. Not having them is preventing me from backpacking and hunting places I'd like to now and in the future. Probably like something that be good down to 20 degrees, size and weight definitely matter.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
There ia a forum out there, with some serious die hard back packing hunters, not sure the name But Bubble knows it.
Just keep in mind this stuff is great and at a great price, but can you put a price on being warm and comfortable in the middle of no where?

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Steve, if this is for the Rondy, we start off car camping (4x4), so you can bring blankets... I will be bringing some extra gear just in case someone isn't geared right. I will also have some extra pads (not backpacking pads). If you want backpacking bag and pad info you might try rokslide.com (it's a gear geek site), you'll get info on the latest and greatest, and options you have not considered. With that said, I am considering the Nemo brand sleeping bag, their Sonic model. It is a zero degree rated bag, but it has baffles that allow some heat to escape in key locations. Backpacker mag did a review on it a couple years back, when it first came out. They said it's true rating was from 40 degrees to zero, based on the use of the baffles. The list price is $529.95, expensive, but considering that one bag can keep you comfortable in a variety of temp ranges, I'd say the money would be well spent. As far as a pad goes, consider the R-Value that you want, and for backpacking, go with an ultra light pad. I have a Big Agnes long-wide, but there are several good options. Just keep in mind that when backpacking, weight and volume are very important things to minimize.

mischief209

Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend? I think 1 of the best pads is the therm a rest xtherm. Lightweight with a good r value. 200$. Big Agnes has a good selection for a tad cheaper. Sleeping bag your gonna wanna know if you want down or synthetic. I run a 06deg DRI down from seirra design, 3ibs and a DRI down kelty 35, 2ibs. Both respectable brands and in the middle on price range and lightweight. Both around 300/350$. Can't go wrong with something used on rokslide either.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I find the EXPED UL9LW paired with an EE quilt to be the bomb! Sleeping is vital, comfort is key. Lotsa good info on rokslide.

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Reaction score
I definitely want this for backpacking. I have pads and blankets, etc that'll take care of camping by the truck, but wouldn't mind getting something for going up at Monache if I stay longer and go into the back country. Down I presume. I'll consider spending what's needed. Size and weight is a concern as I may want get my daughter set up to come with me on short trips so I'd have some of her stuff on those instances. The Nemo bag looks nice, except the stuff volume was listed at 30 liters, that seems pretty large unless I'm wrong.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Nemo does have the same bag in a 15 degree, if you think that will meet your needs. For most backpackers, a 15 degree bag would meet their needs, but if your out later in the year than most backpackers, that zero rating my save you from many freezing nights. If I remember correctly, it is a bit bulky, but then it is a one bag does it all. However, I am pretty sure that it compresses down below 30 liters; if not, run it on the outside to the pack. But today, there are lots of options available.

Last edited:

mischief209

Reaction score
Bruce has got a good point, I see more people going to quilts these days and a high r value pad then anything else. Doesn't get lighter then that combo. There's about 2 month wait for EE quilts only downside but order now for upcoming season. If your unfamiliar with quilts do a quick search or watch a YouTube video. Maybe s sleeping bag vs quilt topic.

Ps. Moosejaw.com has the nemo sonic for 397 right now

Last edited:

Farallon

Reaction score
There are 3 shapes of bags: mummy, rectangle, hybrid.

I am not comfortable in a mummy.

If you are new to sleeping bags,

Many ? places will let you climb into the display model.

id450

Reaction score
Western mountaineering.
Light, warm and well made. Mine is 10 years old , lots of use no complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Bruce has got a good point, I see more people going to quilts these days and a high r value pad then anything else. Doesn't get lighter then that combo. There's about 2 month wait for EE quilts only downside but order now for upcoming season. If your unfamiliar with quilts do a quick search or watch a YouTube video. Maybe s sleeping bag vs quilt topic.

Ps. Moosejaw.com has the nemo sonic for 397 right now

Google the term wts fs ee quilt enlighted equip and you will find a used one at a decent price any week.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Dunno if someone else mentioned it.. but if you have a thinner sleeping bag that's rated to let's say 40 degree F... you can also buy sleeping bag liners that you can slip yourself into and then slip both you and it into the sleeping bag in order to achieve a lower temperature rating. The sleeping bag liners come in different thickness levels. Thicker ones providing greater additional warmth. I think 25 degree was the greatest additional warmth I saw in the particular REI store I was at. So that would take you down to 15 degrees. Seemed like a lighter way to go about it. The 40 degree bag I have is nice and light and quite warm. But... that was fall... not winter with snow on the ground.

I bought an inflatable sleeping pad because weight was my greatest concern and I KNOW I cannot sleep on just a padded mat (old moto injury). I didn't buy the self-inflatable one because of the large jump in price.

Get the self-inflatable one. Inflating that thing is a total PITA.

Just be aware that inflatable sleeping pads... while providing nice comfy padding and protection from the cold ground... they are a bit noisy if you're like me and toss-and-turn a lot before finally falling asleep.

Last edited:

stalker00

Reaction score
For those whom don't think. YouTube instaflator. Make your own from rubber hose and a section of vacuum sealer bag roll. As for a pad being loud, just use foam ear plugs.

Top Bottom