• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Slug guns

Brnsvllyjohn

I have owned a rifled barrell for an 870 for a number of years. Cantileivered scope mount and I have a 4 power Leupold scope mounted on it. Now years ago it shot the Brenneke slugs reasonably well. I did not think I would ever hunt a shotgun only area again so I never really kept up with the copper sabot type slugs. 2 years ago I started playing around with slugs again. I can tell you what the gun does not like and my bruised right shoulder is tired of trying different brands. I was able to get an OK group with the Remington 2 3/4 sabots so I might be done experimenting for now. Last week at the range I shot 19 rounds (cost about $75) with 3 different brands. I was hoping at least 2 brands would shot to about the same point on the target. Didn't happen. I feel that I can shoot effectively to around 100 yards but no further with the Remington. I know a lot of you can shoot twice that far with your slug combo. I don't think I will make any changes or buy another slug gun option until I am sure I will have more opportunities to hunt shotgun only areas.
My son purchased the bolt gun by Savage but he hasn't shot it much yet. I know guys on here as well as some friends who do really well with their 11-87 with a slug barrel. That will probably be my next option if and when I try another option.

One thing I found interesting was the more rounds I fired the better the groups got. I doubt there is a "break in" for a slug gun but if there is things might get better. I just don't have much faith in that.

Now I need to find some more Remington ammo. Stores typically carry one brand of copper slugs but they will carry a lot of different rifle ammo. Sucks to not be able to order ammo.

ltdann

Not sure all the brands you've tried, but in my Rem 11-87, the Federal 3" VITAL•SHOK TROPHY COPPER SABOT SLUGPart #: P151 is the bomb.

I hunt deer almost exclusively in shot gun only areas as do my partners. We all use them. For some reason, the 3" shells make all the difference for accuracy. The slugs are devestating on deer, even though, they ARE NOT magnum shells.

One of my buddies has the exact setup you do and they work well for him.

When you find them, buy all you can afford, they're hard to find in CA. I used to order 5 boxes at a crack from Cheaper than dirt, even when I didn't need them. I've probably got enough for 3 more seasons before I have to start searching again.

Last edited:

FTTPOW

Limb Saver butt pad, if you don't already have one on that 870.

I second that! It's the biggest improvement I've made to my 870. I shoot in slug shoots and go through 35-40 shots per day. The Limbsaver takes all the bite out of shooting.

Brnsvllyjohn

I have limb savers on two deer rifles and a slip on that I add to whatever gun I need it on. It helps but when you are old and have bad shoulders you still feel it. At the range I also use a Past magnum recoil pad as well as a home made leather and closed cell pad. I cannot shot a decent group from a lead sled.

Planetcat

I have noticed finicky accuracy out of the Rem 870 rifled barrel (18", truglo open sights), especially with copper sabots. Believe it or not, rifled lead slugs shot better than the copper sabots. None of which was great though. I also noticed that the lead Remington rifled slugs (2-3/4" or 3") shot best out of the smooth bore 28" modified choke barrel. I figured that maybe the barrel length had something to do with it, so I bought a hastings 22" rifled barrel for the ol'870. Still mediocre accuracy with the Federal trophy copper sabots, but better than the 18" barrel. I was just reading on another forum, that someone said they were getting much better accuracy out of the 3" trophy copper than the 2-3/4". This is a bummer, since those 3" kick worse than a 3-1/2" goose load, but it's worth a try. It's not like slugs are for plinking.

ltdann

they shouldn't kick much more than the 2 3/4 shells, they're not magnum shells. I hate magnum shot shells!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Hog & Javelina Hunting 17
Mel Carter Hog & Javelina Hunting 7
Two Rugers Hog & Javelina Hunting 3
A Shotguns 14
K Shotguns 6

Top Bottom