smoking meats

blazintowers

Reaction score
Just wanted to know where a good place is to buy the wood chips for smoking meats. Thanks for any info!

chap_dog48

Reaction score
Our Albertsons stores in San Bernardino and Victorville have then. Hickory, Mesquite, Apple. Hope that helps.

Saycheese

Reaction score
I use the apple wood from my flowering crabapple tree (trimmed branches). If you have a local orchard, you can get it cheap. Otherwise, just about any place that sells grills/smokers has chips for sale.

SC

mustystubs

Reaction score
Walmart, where America shops. They stock mesquite and hickory chunks in the garden section. I use mesquite for red meat (including ducks) and hickory for fish and fowl with light colored meat. I soak the chunks in a bucket of water for 30 minutes, drain and use.

Chips seem to burn up too fast, even when wet. Chunks last much longer.

Rnovi

Reaction score
Believe it or not, Big 5 Sporting Goods often has some wood chips in their camping section.

weto

Reaction score
as noted above. Big 5 is where I usually go

paulc

Reaction score
Hickory sawdust is in my experience the best way to go for all but fish.

I order 40# bags thru a butcher supplier. Not at home now so do not have website.

I know thesausagemaker carries in bulk but price is a little higher.

blazintowers

Reaction score
thanks for all the replys! I should have no problem finding some chips now!!!

machine

Reaction score
BBQ's Galore for wood, and Smart & Final for lump coal.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
BBQ galore is da place; Apple, cherry, mesquite, hickory, oak, Alder, they've got it all.

Alder is great for grilled salmon, Hickory for chicken or Ribs. Oak is great for cooking Tri-tip or Quail Santa Maria BBQ style. Apple for ducks and geese (some folks use apple for fish, but I haven't tried that yet) and Mesquite puts a great taste into hamburgers and steaks.

You CAN overpower food with the wrong hardwood, so use the above thoughts and adjust to your own taste......

machine

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Freedivr2 @ Aug 9 2006, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You CAN overpower food with the wrong hardwood, so use the above thoughts and adjust to your own taste......[/b]

I try to stay away from mesquite, It can be a"overpowering" for the low and slow!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom