Snake Avoidance for Dogs May 31 & June 1

JForgy

Reaction score
The San Gabriel Valley Chapter of Quail Unlimited is conducting a Snake Avoidance Clinic for Dog at the Sierra Madre Dog Park, May 31 and June 1 by appointment only. Reservations are required, hope to see you and your dog there. Be sure and pass this on to a friend.

Entry form for May 31 & June 1 Snake Avoidance for Dogs(look under news)
http://www.qu.org/quis2/Chapter_Site.cfm?C...&State_ID=0

Attachments

ksberry209

Reaction score
2 questions.

Are there any clases in Nor Cal

When should you start your dog on snake avoidance? I will be getting a new pup in the next month or so.

JForgy

Reaction score
Where are you in Northern California? I think the minimum recommended age for snake avoidance training for a pup is around 9 month, I will check.

ksberry209

Reaction score
I am in the Sacramento area but willing to travel a bit if I have to.

JForgy

Reaction score
Hi ksberry209, I sent you an email with information that should give you a place to start in the Sacramento area.

The Sierra Madre Dog Park is north of the 210 freeway, I get off at Santa Anita Blvd go north about a mile, turn left onto Sierra Madre Blvd. The dog park is about 1/2 mile on the right just east of the cemetery. Next to the tennis courts.

By reservation only, hope to see you and your dog there.

alangandy

Reaction score
Please post the info for No-Cal, when it is available. I am in the Sacramento area, as well.

DanV

Reaction score
For those of you that don't know , there is a Rattlesnake vaccine available . First year dog get 2 shots one month apart , after that once a year . If your dog is current on shots / physical exan the vet , at least mine just gives them the shot , no appt. and no office visit fee other than $28 for the vaccine .

Still should take your dog in if it is bitten , but the vaccine is the equivelant of two vials of anti-venom , a life saver and at only $28 bucks , CHEAP INSURANCE ! Not sure what the price of anti-venom currently , last I heard it was over $600 - 4800 a vial - not cheap .

perdizgunner

Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but I read somewhere that rattlesnake anti-venom does NOT work if the bite is from a Mohave green rattler? unfortunately the Mohave green's range keeps expanding and Mohave Jake is who you'll find in chukar country. Its also my understanding that there is NO Mohave Green anti-venom. If Im wrong on any count please let me k
now.

greg vs

Reaction score
Almost all snake venoms are a mix of hemotoxic (dissolves tissues) and neurotoxic (paralytic) venoms. Last I heard (about 1998, when I was in grad school), they had identified over 238 different (sub)venoms in rattlesnake venom. For instance, a cobra is mostly neurotoxic with only a little hemotoxin. Most rattlesnakes are hemotoxic==However, the Mojave rattlesnake, Mexican westcoast rattler, and tropical rattler are primarily neurotoxic. A third kind is myotoxic, which prevents nerve impulses from going from the nerves to the muscles. This is found in sea snakes.

The Mojave is 16 times more potent than a coral snake and 4 times as deadly as a common cobra (Naja naja). However, the amount of venom injected plays a large factor, as does the age of the snake. Larger snakes inject more venom. A sidewinder probably cannot inject enough to kill a healthy adult male. But the tissue damage could very well result in amputation. Adult snakes do not inject venom about 25% of the time and won't inject all they have (It takes about 2 weeks to regenerate venom). Baby snakes shoot their full dose. Populations of the same species may vary in toxicity==I understand that at least one pop of Pacific rattlers in the western San Gabriels is HIGHLY neurotoxic. Also individual sensitivity can vary as can allergic reactions=a girl died in Santa Barbara a few (?) years ago from the bite of a garter snake. Back to the Mojave: Dr Fred Shannon, who wrote the medical text on snakebite, was bitten on his left thumb by a Mojave. His collecting partner was Dr Findlay Russell, the co-author of the textbook. He died in 15 minutes despite being under the immediate care of, probably, the best medical expert on snakebite in the world. Yes, Mojaves scare me more than any other NA snake!

Have I got you confused yet?? To compound the issues there are also cardiotoxins and bufotoxins (from toads) and rear-fanged snakes that have fangs but we don't even know if they have venoms (For instance, a Utah black-headed snake has a skull about the size of a pencil eraser and teeth about 1mm in size). And Komodo dragons use their saliva like a venom to hunt prey but it is toxic, not venomous. It is merely so full of bacteria that a water buffalo will likely die in 24-48 hours from blood poisoning.

John: Do you still have the old QU newsletters??? There were a series of articles I wrote just before I left SoCal == during the summer just before a snake-break. Maybe you could make them available??

I find venoms fascinating (can you tell??). For more info, see Klaubers "Rattlesnakes, their life-history, and influence on man" or Minton & Monton's "Venomous Reptiles"

ksberry209

Reaction score
I too find snakes interesting and enjoyed the write up. Thanks for the info.

I always thought that coral snakes were among the more venomous snakes in the world. At least that is what i remember from the boyscout hand book. I remember reading this about coral snakes "red on black = venom lack....red on yellow = kill a fellow" Is this really true about the color of the rings on corals?

greg vs

Reaction score
Only NORTH of Mexico!! Some, like Wied's coral snake, are the opposite. In grad school, I had to take 3 seminar classes (where the students teach the course==the rule is, IF the Prof learns something new, you qualify for a possible "A"). Anyway, my last seminar course was on mimicry and crypsis (camouflage). Each student took a different group of plants or animals and gave a 1 hour lecture. Unfortunately, the guy who did reptiles (and esp. coral snakes) did a lousy job.

BUT, it was one h--- of an interesting course for the most part.

JForgy

Reaction score
There are still some slots available for the Snake Avoidance Clinic for dogs on Saturday afternoon May 31. The weatherman is calling for rain that day, but we shall see.

Top Bottom