So Everybody's Got One!!!

jdhowe75

Reaction score
Well everyone else was showing off their pics of their new puppies. After we had to put Jager down I went on a puppy hunt to fill the hole left in our family. There is nothing like a new puppy to put a smile on the kid's faces. Well thanks to Mt. Goat I now have the brother to Deem's, Joe's and Blanked's little GSPs. I'd like to intorduce you to Lowell's Ode to Jager's Ryde. Affectionalty known as "Ryder" He has been really good, so much so that even the wife likes him. He is a little spoiled puppy. I am trying to crate train him but after about 30 minutes of whining durring the night my wife usually snuggles up next to him in the bed. He's already pulling the covers off me in the middle of the night.

Thanks Mt. Goat!

P.S. BigDaddyB, I have not gone to the "DARK SIDE"
I will probably get another 'V' in the future! Jager was such a good looking dog I would like to have another.

Attachments

plan_b

Reaction score
He looks great! And once you have gone GSP you will never go back.
Larry has some great dogs.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Glad to see that you are part of our little litter family. I get to pick up Lex next Sunday, and I am very excited. I just finished a puppy book I bought at the Bass Pro Shop, and now I am watching, "Woof-Its a dogs life". We should all plan a "family reunion hunt"!

jdhowe75

Reaction score
Joe...I was wondering where you have been. I haven't heard from you in a while. Lex is looking good and yes, I am sure that we'll get out there and get some birds this fall. Are you going to take Larry up on his offer and do some training with him? Kinda far to North County from the High Desert.

P.S. Good luck @ the Ham Slam. I expect you'll be grillin' up some pork sausage after the weekend.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
I was away for 10 days catchin redfish in Florida! I dont think I will be able to train with Larry. It's 3 hours to get to him. I guess we will do whatever we can through email. As far as Tejon goes, I hope to be passin out pork to all my huntin buddies soon. I will put together a special pack for Ryder. We hook the boys up soon to run some birds around. Thanks for the well wishes. There is definitely a pig at Tejon with my crosshairs on him.

Reaction score
Congrats to you and your family JD.

I miss Jagers post- but know you do even more.

I can not wait to watch Ryder grow up.

"If possible"- Put a lock on that crate to "wife proof" him.

Cheers!

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
All right, you got the solid liver boy! He looks exactly like one of my V-Hairs, Mt Goat, you put a little V in those boys, might as well, got enough EP in 'em!

All kidding aside, its great you have a new pup, and I'm sure the kids have a smile on their faces, who wouldn't with a little beauty like that!
If you still have the info pamphlet I gave you with Jager, the insurance one, do yourself a favor, sign up for it! PLEASE!
and then let us all know the ins and outs of it!

jdhowe75

Reaction score
I have been researching the insurance a little more since Jager's passing. The basic package runs about $35 per month and only covers up to $3500 per year and $1500 per incident, with a $150 per year deductible. If I'd had that one it wouldn't have covered his expenses on this last trip around. The more expensive one costs about $55 per month and covers $5000 per year and $3000 per incident with a $100 per year deductible. And it doesn't cover stuff like diabetes, heart failure, liver problems, hips and eyes past the initial diagnostic. It won't cover continual prescriptions either. It does cover vaccinations and annual checkups but $55 a month seems like a lot. I'd rather sock the money away, oh who am I kidding, I'd rather spend that money on toys and guns and training and put his bills on a credit card IF Ryder ever gets sick. I am betting on the fact that this might happen once or twice in a lifetime. I don't think I could handle it again anytime soon. If it does I just might give up puppies all together.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
I hear you loud and clear, but, its the cost to be the boss, and tragedy strikes at any age, not just puppies!
We're doing pretty dog gone good to have our buddies for as long as we do, its a shame that's usually around 10-15 yrs max. when were lucky!
One of the main reasons I like to talk a hard heart and say to myself, "they're just dogs" RIGHT!
Every time I say that, seems like I take another step further into my personal "hall of fame", I now have the remians of my last one. I've been thinking of creating a photo display of my dogs in their honor! If that tells you anything on how hard hearted I am? "Just Dogs, Sure"

35/mo & 150 deductible= $670/year, if that includes vac's and annual checkups, actually isn't that BAD?

JJR

Reaction score
$670 a year is actually ALOT, considering I believe I paid $350 for the one year Puppy plan and that covers visits, Vaccinations and it would have been around $450 if I went with the spayed/neutered option....

Pet insurance doesn't look like it would help when you need it to.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
JD

Glad to hear your family is enjoying the pup. Ryder is a neat pup. He's going to make you a great hunting dog and family pet ( For BigDaddyB, even with all that hyper EP Pointer in him)

Joe

I would recommend you really think about hooking up and training. Even if its only once in awhile, just to give you an idea what you can work with on your own. I have a friend from Poway that trains with us from time to time. When we train together sometimes we meet half way. Anyway just something to think about.

As far as insurance. I've thought about it before, but it just seem to me to be to expencive. Shoot you can give your own shots for $7-$20 per dog per year depending on what you give. I dont take my dog to the vet for just general check ups. If your dog gets a cut (if it not to bad) you should be able to staple him up yourself. Our you should at least know how to. Its aways a good idea to carry a first aid kit with you out when hunting, you just never know. For an emergency the insurance like snake bites, hit by car, etc... would be the reason to get it IMO BUT how offten does this happen to justify $600-$700 a year, again it seem high to me.

Larry

deemteam

Reaction score
JD.....glad to hear you got the pup.....we will all have to get the "family" together for some training and hunting. I think that is the Puppy Larry was going to keep.....you will be very happy.....our Scout is a great puppy, she and Lucy keep us laughing all of the time.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
JD

Glad to see that you got another bundle of wiggles

I'm smilin cause Ely is in his crate next to my cubicle right now.

Does anyone know if the insurance expires at a certain age or can you insure the dog for his entire life?

jdhowe75

Reaction score
karstic...I know what you are talking about. I had Ryder with me all day Sunday at work. I used to bring in Jager every other week on the weekends. Ryder will probably get the same treatment. He got plenty of attention this last Sunday and didn't spend a whole lot of time in his crate. Mostly just to sleep. All of my employees were googling over him. He is a cute kid and I can't wait to get himout in the field.

As far as insurance goes some of the policy that I read stated that there are limitations on age. I didn't see any specifics but it was on both puppies and adults. I think puppies wouldn't start until 8 weeks of age. I am not sure how long adults can be insured.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Deemteam

Yes JD has my pup. Because of his situation with everything I wanted him to have a nice dog, so I offered up my boy for the cause. JD is going to give him a good home and down the line I can still us him for breeding back to, if need be.

As happy as I am for you guys to have nice pups, I'm happier that my pup are in such good homes.

Larry

blanked

Reaction score
I have to say that Larrys offer of training with him is something not to pass up. I missed out on his offer cause at the time I was relocating out of state and it didnt work for me. I kick myself now for not making it happen. Larry has given me some very valuble training advice that I have not heard of or read anywhere but thru him and it was excellent advice. One that really stands out is during that first hunt pup experinces is all trainers say the same thing to only shoot birds that pup points. Larry advised me not to do that and to shoot birds that pup flushes so that pup knows you and him are a team. That made a huge difference for me.

Larry is good people who is not interested in making a dollar to help you get the most out of your bird dog. Good luck

Top Bottom