So hows the socal upland season going? Any one kill some pheasants?

pilgrimbizket

I moved to OR this past year, intrested to hear how the season has been to you guys.

How was opening of pheasant down in the IV?

Anyone out slaying chukar?

Limited Out

I went down yesterday for the first day with four seasons being open. I stopped at my top Quail spot walked a mile, mile and half up a desert wash, pretty light on birds for the first time in many years. Took a couple of shots for zero birds. I made a minimal effort looking for Pheasants, basically road hunting between Euro spots. Shot a couple dozen Euros. No effort made on shooting some Ducks. Lots of folks hunting Euros. I didn't see anyone that looked like they were hunting Pheasants. I am getting lazy in my old age, my dog had a real fun day. I fished a little bit at a couple of spots as well. How is Oregon?

pilgrimbizket

How’s the hunting up there? Are you finding places to hunt?
I am struggling. Oregon is know for great upland hunting, but what I have come to find is alot of great chukar habitat is landlocked. I have found some amazing habitat thats accessible on the east side of the state about 5 hours from my house. It gets hit hard though. I seen 8 coveys of chukar in three days. Birds where busting wild! 150 yards out at times. I missed all the easy shots and am hammering shots over point when they flush about 30-40 yards. From the other guys I'm talking too out there I am seeing alot more birds than other people are.

Most of quail is on private land.

You need permission to hunt pheasant pretty much. Just cant walk I posted fields like you can in CA.

canamrider07

Hunting is getting harder and harder every year, no matter where you are at. If you don't own land or know people that do, it would be very hard to hunt in Texas. I can see now why guys are getting hunting leases on land. I also don't have it in me to drive 5 hours to hunt, sad but true.

Limited Out

It is hard enough for me to drive 2 1/2 hrs. to the I.V, hunt all day, then drive the same distance home. 5 hours that is to far for me to hunt just one day.
I haven't been seeing a lot of pheasants during the off season this year. Last Saturday I didn't see anyone pheasant hunting, I normally do on the opener. I do have one good pheasant spot, I just didn't make over there Saturday. As far as having good Hot Spots for different types of birds it takes years and years to develop enough information to have a great day of hunting almost every time you go. When you do find birds it pays to put the location in some type of GPS database.

pilgrimbizket

If no one was out pheasant hunting I would of loved it, I have a couple fields that always seem to hold birds.

Ya I'm not expecting to have a banger season but I have sure put in the work doing scouting before hand. I never would of thought everything would be so landlocked

Limited Out

Maybe the lack of hunters on the opener will mean there will be a few birds around when you come down at Thanksgiving. Who knows!

imperial valley hunter

While i'm still chasing them desert ghost on my way home I hit a quick pheasant spot that produces every year.. and yes I was doing some quick glassing seeing hunters all around and then peek a boo goes a gallo. I make a mental point of where he is and 59502602064__CC383FFB-E2B0-4D69-B8A1-209F557A95A2.JPGdrive over, walk into field and he flushes out at 20 yards out. 1 shot 1 kill, I was tired from my earlier hunt so I called it a day.

Stevehazard

So far so good with dove and quail.
As far as driving goes I'm starting to want to do over nighters for anything 2 hours out.

elmacho

We must all be aging together. Steve, I am in the same boat, but three hours is my limit....right now....it kinda hurts....

cjack

We're all getting older, maybe that's why we're not seeing as many guys out there....5 hours round trip for a chukar hunt isn't as appealing as it use to be.

Top Bottom