Socal big buck stories. Jim matthews request.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'm trying to put together some historical photographic data on big bucks from Southern California deer zones. This is an old photo from 1982 of Larry Kay of San Bernardino with one of the best bucks I've ever seen from D14. I'd like to see photos and hear stories about others. -- Jim Matthews.

FB_IMG_1573854149972.jpg

#jho #bigbucks #muley

Muledeer527

Reaction score
That buck is massive! Do you think there could still be a monster like that hiding up in the San Gorgonio Wilderness?

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
The genetics in much of So Cal is here...but age and nutrition is the key. All, you have to do is visit the San Diego Wild animal Park and spot some of it's local bucks. Obviously they eat very well while nibbling on some of the native and provided high protein and nutrient rich feed...and they have the ability to reach maturity. I have seen 24"-27" bucks with multiple trash points (6-7-8 on a side). Another spot is Cuyamaca State part...some real dandy's can be spotted up there! Some of you locals may remember the huge double dropper buck that was poached up there many years ago. I'm sure they are FEW and FAR between, but I'm sure there are some true studs still roaming the hills.
On another note: In California, a legal buck must have a fork. There are doe tags available in some zones as well. So....this leave those danged spikes in a category of their own as being the only deer that is protected. Many studies have shown that spikes are in fact genetically inferior, and that most first year bucks should have at least a small fork as their first set of antlers. Just look at Utah that has a special season in an area that limits you to harvesting a buck with no more than 3 points. The more spike that breed...the more inferior you genetic pool will be. I sure wish CA would go to "visible horns" like MANY sates do! We don't need this spike passing on this genes!

Last edited:

Top Bottom