SoCal special hunts

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Has anybody put it applications for the special dove, quail and pheasant hunts this year?

I did the family pheasant hunt two years ago.  It was alright.  Nothing spectacular.  The best thing was hunting with dogs.  I've never upland hunted with dogs before, so that was a treat.

Marty

Reaction score
No.
If you don't get drawn for the opener, I think you're better off on your own.
DFG wants you to stay within designated fields and you cannot move out until well into well into the morning.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">Wingman & Marty the no-show did the junior pheasant last year & based on their glowing reports I signed up for all three.  I met the DFG guy who helps co-ordinate the hunts at the Youth shoot last weekend.  I'll give anything a try once ( well maybe not coyote ).</font>

MapMan

Reaction score
The quail hunts were nice. No planted birds. I was drawn for the second day Quail hunt in Peace Valley last year. I put two birds in the bag and lost 2. There is a lot of low heavy brush and without a dog it can be tough to find a downed bird. The hunt was in a small valley, owned by the water district, bordered by the 5 freeway to the west and some hills to the east. The aqueduct also cuts through the easterly side. In talking with Scott Sewell of DFG, the first day hunters had more birds than the second day hunters. Still we saw several good size coveys and naturally the first day hunters did better before the birds were either shot at and spooked!  This area is normally closed to the public. We saw the most birds in the north end of the valley between the freeway and the first set of hills to the east. A group was shooting up on the hills as well and pushed a small covey down to us. There is a drainage course with large cottonwood trees running down the middle of the north end as well. A group ahead of us was hunting this tree line and had a lot of shooting going on. If you get drawn for the first day it should be good. This was a very nice set up and if drawn you should enjoy it.

As far as the Pheasant hunts, they are planted birds, hunted in small designated areas/fields and they typically don't fly very much if they fly at all. I have been on two of these special pheasant hunts and they were both the same. Great for kids or first time hunters. The birds are tasty but it is not very sporting.

In previous years there were Pheasant hunts in Riverside County. This year they are all in San Diego and LA counties so I will wait until next year. I don't want to drive that far..........

Latest Posts

Top Bottom