Soldering Help Owl pf

Gator

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I bought 2 af's and 2 pf's, I started with the af's and they were not to bad I got them wired and they both worked fine. But the pins on the pf are really close togethter and I can't seem to get them soldered without shorting them together. I am using a 30w iron and .050 solder core flux. I read the soldering tip but nothing jumped out at me that I could do different. Is there anything to cover the other pins with that I could remove after I make a weld?
Thanx for the help.

gizz

Reaction score
I'm no expert at this but if you melt a little solder on the end of your solder tip then touch the joint you may find it a bit easier. Don't melt a pile of solder on the end of your tip, just enough do the job.
Also solder(Tin) the end of your wires before trying to solder them to the board. This way you won't need to handle the solder, just the wire and solder pen.

Gator

Reaction score
Thanx Gizz,

I did tin the wires, I had no problem with the af's, but the pins being so close on the pf's, was giving me trouble and also the solder that was already on the board didn't seen very solf and I was having a hard time getting it to weld.

mkacala697

Reaction score
i found a little trick if u cut a piece of sotter off about 1 sixteenth of an inch long and lay it right next to the desired pin, then hold your wire there, and finally just melt it, it does a really nice job

robNhood

Reaction score
Soldering the PF...what I use is phone wire. The phone wire that is the single strand that goes to you wall jack. It is really thin and I have had great success with it. Just secure it real well to prevent it from bending and breaking.

I have had my cams soldered this way for over a year now without any problems.

gizz

Reaction score
Seriously, I found drinking coffee before trying to solder was not a good idea either.
I also remember getting some very thin solder from the shack and make sure the iron has had time to get nice and hot. Other than that just take your time and make sure there are no distractions. Also don't be in a hurry...go for it.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Gator - I also used the old single strand telephone wire with great success, but Jesse recommends using stranded wire. From what I gather, if you use the orthodox method you stick the wire onto the board rather than holding your solder in one hand? I plan to try Jesse's method on my next PF. I remember reading somewhere where Jesse has offered to solder those for $20, and it might be wise to take him up on it.  

Possum

Reaction score
I first twist the stranded phone wire together.  Then I tin the end of it (Melt solder onto the phone wire).  Then I use a napkin to wipe all the solder off of the tip of the iron.  Take a pair of scissors, I use a Leatherman Micro tool, and cut the twisted, soldered end of the wire down to about an 1/8 of an inch.  Then when you touch the pin to the wire you get a joint using the solder already on the phone wire.  I use the braided copper weave to take up any solder that melts between the pins.

Badger Bucks

Reaction score
I've just gotten my first camera done so maybe I'm not totally understanding this, but I thought that there are directions on soldering the wire directly to the circuit board.  This is what I did and my first set of pictures came out great

Gator

Reaction score
Thanx Guys for the replies,

I work for the phone company so I don't have any trouble get ting scape telephone wire that would otherwise be thrown away. I used 24 awe solid wire on the 2 af's I did and they work fine. I was just having trouble with the close pins on the pf's, but thanks for all the tips, I will try again and maybe the second time is the charm.

Gator

Reaction score
Thanks Richard,

I will try it that way next time.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom