Soldering Help

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time soldering my wire to the rs switch terminals (or any where else for that matter). I bought the rs 15 W soldering iron and resin core solder but it takes forever to heat up sufficient to melt the solder and when i solder to the terminals it just comes off. It takes forever messin with it resoldering numerous times till it finally halway holds up.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Gumbo

woodsman

Reaction score
Sound like your soldering iron is'int heating up all the way Bring it back get another one you have the right solder . good luck

(Edited by woodsman at 8:57 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

wfontjr

Reaction score
melt some solder on your tip before you touch the pins, this usually helps

MBullism

Reaction score
I use a 30W for the misc connections, only use the 15W inside the camera.  I find that thinner solder is easier to work with, and tinning all the wires before connecting is key...

Hope this helps, it's all I got!

M

davered1

Reaction score
use some solder paste and apply it first to places you want solder to stick. Works great and solder just runs where it is pointed

davered1

Reaction score
SIMPLEARKANSAN,

It is like the rosin in the rosin core solder except it is in a paste comes in a little 2" X 2" metal container.It is what everyone used before the rosin core came out. I had no luck getting that stuff to stick without paste. If you use paste the solder goes wherever you dab paste(won't overrun runs though). I bought mine at a automotive shop, it's used for electronics soldering.I will scan tommorow and post

Stever

Reaction score
I had same problem with a 15w solder iron. Now I use real thin wires for wiring. It is MUCH MUCH easier. Get an old printer cable or a new one rip out the thin wires and voila you got enough quality wires to make many cameras. Wires may be thin but they do solder easy and they are tough no problem with cold joints or breaking joints.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom