solonoid woes

horndog

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm a newbie here..my first post....first of all, I love the site and have gotten alot of info for these cams. My main problem is this, just spent $40 for a canon owl and the wife doesn't really want me to take it apart...shes' afraid it will end up looking like the toaster, the alarm clock, coffe pot, ect.ect...you get the idea (lol) anyway, what kind of solonoid will work for a 12v system? I thought about a power door lock actuator, but those will not come back off the button, a stop idle solonoid doesn't have the power to push the button....I'm stuck. can I rig up a solonoid? or do I need to get into the wifes stash and buy another cam without her knowing  it?.....(just kidding) Open for any suggestions

dharter

Reaction score
In the main jesses camera design web pages some solenoids are mentioned.
Jameco has them.  There is one that is about $8.00.  The part number is on the web page.  I bought that one.  It has a thread and nut on one end.  You can then mount it using that.  The push rod moves freely, and only gravity keeps it from sliding out in the opposite direction.  I have seen the door lock solenoids at All Electronics within the last few months, however it is not listed as a solenoid.  I think some persons in this forum have used that type, but it is rather large.
I built my camera with a solenoid.  I found that it is rather sensitive to where on the shutter the solenoid rod rests.  I had to adjust the camera position relative to the solenoid with a flashlight to get it to work.  It seems that the solenoid is stronger depending on how far it has to travel to push the shutter.  I was having problems b3ecause the solenoid was activated, but the camera wasn't taking a picture.  To get mine to work I adjusted the solenoid so the width of 2 pennies but not three will fit between the top solenoid washer and the top housing of the solenoid.  If I had to redo my camera I would mount the camera in a fixed location using the 1/4 " thread on the trupod mount on the bottom of the camera.
I found some 90 degree angle brackets in Menards building supply store that I an using on my 2nd camera.  I think they are used to join wooden trusses in housing sonstruction.  They have 2 holes for nails on one side and a slot on the other.  They cost about $.40 each.  You can use wing nuts with 2 brackets and then you can adjust the solenoid position.  You have to cut off half of one of the brackets.  Then you drill a hole to mount the solenoid on it.  You then can vary the x and y position of the solenoid relative to the camera.  I am going to try to vary the z position by making another slot on the other bracket so that it  has 2 slots.  One slot would be for vertical adjustments.  The other would be for horizontal x and y adjustments.  The only drawback is that you need a flashlilght to see the picture counter on the camera.  The solenoid draws mcuh more current relative to the other compnents of the camera.  You might want to make sure that its current path is over wires and not traces on any circuit board.  I also added a diode in paraallel to my solenoid to prevent large reverse voltages when the solenoid is turned off.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom