Some 380 help needed

g-hog

Reaction score
Hey all,
Hope someone can give me some advise here. I had modified my 380 to use with the new RSS-U checked the camera out and it worked fine by itself. Well about a week later Bill posted on his site that some of the phone cables were reverse. Might know mine was and the camera was wired up wrong. So tonight I opened the camera back up unsoldered the wires and resoldered them in correctly. Put the camera back together and will not even come on. Black, dead nothing. What could I have done that might have killed the camera. Even if the refresh, shutter or ground was goofed up shouldn't the camera power back up? I have opened it up and don't see anything obvious. This will be the 2nd 380 I have fried if this thing can't be fixed...Beginning to think I am not meant to build these things myself

GHog

bat

Reaction score
g-hog, I don't know a lot about this stuff but I would check the original ground and power soldering spots to see if maybe you unsolder the orginal wires for the camera. It could easily be done and you might not see it at first. Just shooting in the dark but it would be worth a look.
bat

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Greg,

Yes as Bat stated check for the Obvious make sure where you soldered the 3 wires com, ref,shutter that the original wires are still connected and you did not loose any contact with any of them. sounds like its the common you lost. also make sure there not bridged.

otherwise dont know.I am doing an IR Cam now tonight when I have it apart later I will look and see if I can come up with anything for you

Dan

g-hog

Reaction score
Thanks Bat and Dan, I have went back and went over the solder joints again and nothing yet the ground did come off very easy but resolderd and stillnothing. I may just remove the phone cord and see what happens there. Also Dan I ran my wires through the camera in the same route that you did for me on my other digital. There is nothing in there that you know of that I could have harmed while pulling the cord through is there. Will let you know if I come up with anything.

Greg

pocomoke

Reaction score
ghog not sure what was contacting what in your 380 but I had one go dead by the wrong contacts touching each other.I had the female jack in my cam and the male plug coming from board.All was fine for 6 months and then while checking cam I did not notice that the tip of the plug had broke off inside cams female jack when I unplugged cam from unit.

Looked at pics,put cam back in case and plugged back into cam.Checked cam couple days later and no pics.Took cam out and when I unplugged I noticed the tip was gone on male plug.Now this tip has a plastic insulator on it to seperate plug into 3 contact points (stereo)and I later found it inside female jack in cam.

Needless to say the cam was dead.Whichever of the 3 contact points from my board into my camera shorted out I do not know but appearantley something touched where it was not meant to....Board was fine just cam was dead and you could smell that burnt electrical smell inside female jack on cam...

g-hog

Reaction score
Well, Looks like bad luck just hit again. I removed all the wires for the phone jack and resoldered each wire on the camera just to make sure. Looked at it though a magnifying glass (my eyes aren't what they used to be) and nothing touching all connections look good and no burn't smell yet!!!! My guess is its just dead (like me if my wife finds out I have wasted another perfectly good camera
. Really strange that it won't power up. I would have guessed that the shutter,refresh had nothing to do with the on/off operation of the camera. Common I can understand. I will keep looking but really can't think of anything else to check. I don't guess anyone knows of another point on the camera I could check continuity to make sure my connections are good? Thanks

GHog

thehunter

Reaction score
Pocomoke,

That is a bummer. That happens when you let the "smoke out".

shadow

Reaction score
Ummmm did you try the really obvious like fresh batteries?

pocomoke

Reaction score
Ghog I know you dont want to hear this but I sent mine to olympus.They will fix a d380 up to like new condition regardless of what is wrong for $72.Someone told me that if the lcd screen was not in perfect shape they even replace that.Well I dont know how it happened but mine got a terrible scratch in it before I could send it in for repairs.

Anyway got it back in about 2 weeks and it was in perfect shape.Had a new lcd screen as well as a new front door as mine had a good bit of scratches on it....

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Greg,

You routted the wires up thru the center of the cam behind hat lil plate wheres there barely enough room to sneak the wores thru? I ask because I have heard of it happening if you push wires thru that area with the ends being bare and contacts a Cmos Chip within there, there VERY static sensitive it could cause it to pop.

I still run my wiores thru there on my inots but insulate the ends, before pushing them trhu there. also use a static strap and make sure I am grounded. especially with alot of these new baords peopel are coming out with. there getting smaller and smaller and cmos chips are starting to be used. there very un static friendly. Im no expert on this at all, but have been told and warned about it.

Greg,
Im thiking this may be what happened. shorting com/refresh and shutters togethers will not cause that. Unless refresh is activated continous for a long period that may pose a problem, not real sure.

maybe Contact Haymaker,Brian, arch, jaggermax one of these guys they can help clue you in.

as for pocomokes idea, that not a bad way to go if it comes to it, But mess it up good, make it like new when it comes back

Good luck!!!

Dan

Outhouse

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any surface mount fuses on the board?

I think I saw some on the P32's... I don't remember seeing any on the D380 but it's been a while since I had one open.

g-hog

Reaction score
$72 bucks ain't bad. Pocomike, do you have any contacti nfo for Oly as for getting an RMA to send it back.

Dan, I really don't think I shorted anything out when pushing it though after all. I was thinking that it worked the first time when I had the wires wrong. Took a few pics with it. Once I seen I was going to have to reverse the wires all I did was unsolder them restrip them and resolder. Later last night before shutting down I did have the shutter wire come loose from the little terminal strip behind the board we solder to. I will fix that tonight if that doesn't get it...Off to Olympus it goes. Thanks for all the input here.

GHog

chardy

Reaction score
Ghog,
Sory for the bad news.
I had a camera with the same problem. It is very hard to see if everytheing is still connected without a magnified glass. The problem with going back in forth is the heat from the solder gun. It will start losing other connection. Just look very close to other solder point near the ones you put heat to. Sometimes you might thing it is a good connection but it is not. You might have to put a litlle solder on the end of the solder gun and touch each solder point.

I know it can drive somebody crazy when you have to keep putting it back together to see if it works.

I can look at it for you if you want to send it to me..

g-hog

Reaction score
OK Just to give a quick update.

I went back and all wires are attached and have continuity from our solder points to the small terminal board just behind our connection points. I would think this would tell me my wires are OK.

I was able to get the batteryholder back in place without having to put the back of the case on and took some power readings.

Between the common and refresh and common and shutter I have 3.2 volts also have the voltage to the other end of the wire going to the other small board.

On the hot and ground connection just to upper left of the view finder I have 6.47 V

Across the flash capacitor contacts I have 142Vdc

Across the red and white wires going to the LCD display I have 000 ..nothing. well actually it will show .9mv

It appears my wires are good but something is broken down past the shutter/refresh area that is not allowing the camera to boot up.

Unless someone knows of something else to check I think I will mail it off for repair. In the mean time I gotta figure out how to get that 380 away from my mother....Hey it was gift to her 3 yrs ago...she would understand wouldn't she...Nah better leave that one alone

chardy..Thanks for the offer, but at this point I really don't think it is in the wires and afraid I would be wasting your time on this one.....Now if anyone want to volunteer to solder upa phone cord to my next camera for me.............

GHog

Thanks for the help guys

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Greg,

I would be Happy to solder a Phone cord on it for you on your next one if noone else will...

sorry to hear about your bad luck...

Dan

ACrowe

Reaction score
g-hog,

This is a shot in the dark but check the little door switch where the smart media card goes in . There is a small door switch that has to be made before the camera will power up. I thought I had fried my camera once but I just didn't have the door closed when I went to take a picture.
If something is not lining up just right or that switch is stuck in the open position your camera will not power up. It's just a thought maybe it will help.

chardy

Reaction score
G-hog,

Acrowe is correct. Look down in the little slots were the media door shuts and there is a little nipple that pushes. What I do is take the camera apart and remove the button and drop solder on the connecter.
Another think I found out problems is the door on the front of camera. Take the door off, You will not have to take camera apart. There is a little lever that slides in a grove on the door that shuts camera off and on.

I have got 4 D-360 and 1 D-380 cameras off of ebay totaling about $60 that were not working. The only think wrong with them was the nipple or the main door.

I guess I will be bidding against other now on ebay for the cheap ones.

g-hog

Reaction score
ACrowe/CHardy OH Man this is gonna be bad if this is it
Actually good for the camera looks bad on me. I bet this is it as what I was doing was just popping the camera back together with the battery holder in place and didn't even bother to put the media card door on....I never dreamed that would matter. Thanks so much for this tip. Can't wait to get off work so I can try this. If this works I owe both of you a beverage of you choice.

Dan you may be off the hook on a solder job for me.
But I sure do appreciate yours and everyones elses advise. I sure hope this do's it

GHog

Latest Posts

Top Bottom