SOME HELP FOR X12 ARCHERY

CORYMAN

Reaction score
BRAND NEW TO THIS SITE. HEADING UP TO X12 FOR A WEEK OF ARCHERY HUNTING. ANYBODY GOT ANY GOOD AREAS TO HUNT OR ANY ADDITIONAL INFO FOR ME? THANKS

Jake

Reaction score
Coryman,

Welcome to JHO, and congrats on an X12 Tag. I have never hunted that zone so I cant offer much help. I'll bet that youre not the first one to ask that question so I would use the search function on this site. You will find tons of helpful info in the previous posts if you take the time to look around. Good luck on your hunt and your search for information.

Mike

BDB

Reaction score
Coryman,

Good luck with your A20 tag. There are lots of threads in the muley section on X12 and A20. Scroll back a bit and you will find quite a few. I have the tag also with 2 of my buddies and we have been working pretty hard on scouting. If you are backpacking, go deep and high. All of the canyons hold deer, get in as far as you can and go as high as you can. They will be as far up as they can get in many cases. As for specifics, the only places we have scouted are on our list of places to hunt so I won't be saying too much, you can understand I'm sure. Other than the specfic places we are hunting I really don't know much else about the zone in order to direct you to some places. If you are camping and not hunting back in too far, there are plenty of suggestions in the other threads. Good luck and keep us posted of your hunt success. Oh yeay, welcome to the site.

Have a great A20 hunt and hope to see you around the site more often.

CORYMAN

Reaction score
THANK YOU JAKE AND BDB! I WENT WITH MY COUSIN LAST YEAR JUST FOR THE RIDE. I DID NOT PUT IN FOR A TAG. THIS YEAR I HAD TO WIPE THE COB WEBS OFF THE BOW AND GET A TAG! THERE ARE 3 US WITH TAGS THIS TIME AND WE WILL BE TRAILER CAMPING SOME WHERE. CANT WAIT TO GET UP THERE, LEAVING THURSDAY FROM LA AREA. KEEP THE INFO COMING. I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE THIS FORUM. HOPEFULLY HAVE A PICTURE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST IT.

THANKS AGAIN

Backcountry

Reaction score
If you're trailer camping, you'll be miles from us, so I expect our paths won't cross, but good luck all the same...

Us? From your trailer camp look to the west as far and as high as your gaze allows, then squint so you can see just a bit higher and further... we'll be just a bit beyond that! Not a place many can "day hike" to, that's for sure.

That said, when doing my research for A20 I've read and been told that the low-lying sage areas hold plenty of deer and if you're up at the crack of dawn glassing you'll probably spot some. I would not suggest driving around trying to find deer... yeah you may see a few, but you'll also miss more than you see... if I were trailer camping (damn that sounds nice, don't it BDB?) I'd set up in the rolling hills of sage so I could see a mile in each direction (or more), camo up, be ready 1/2 an hour before first light, use good optics and/or a spotting scope, and I wouldn't plan on starting a stalk until I see where the buck beds, and then wait an hour to make sure he ain't going anywhere. I'd plan to stay in my glassing spot for hours until I started my stalk... I'd have water and food to last 8 hours. Also, I've found it's a lot easier to glass with the sun behind you, so I'd set up out on a knoll in the sage flats with a good expansive view to the west. I’d have all this planned out on Thursday or Friday so that it’s easy to sneak into my spot come Saturday morning at 5:30am.

No guarantees, but that's what I'd do...

Oh, the best places for road access into the sage flats are east of 395… most of the area west of 395 is being reclaimed as “roadless areas” and/or “proposed wilderness”… accordingly, just because you see a road on the map don’t mean it’s there.

Again, good luck!

Backcountry

CORYMAN

Reaction score
BACKCOUNTRY, THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO. GOOD LUCK UP THERE. HOW LONG YOU THERE FOR? LOOK FOWARD TO SOME PICS

CORYMAN

BDB

Reaction score
Hey Coryman, I can partially answer for Backcountry, won't be as eloquent or long winded (sorry BC cound'nt resist
), as he is one of my hunting partners for A20. We are heading in for 5 days, 6 for BC and In2blacktail as they are going in on Thursday and me on Friday. Depending on what happens the opening weekend will dictate how much extra hunting we do. Hopefully not much

If you want to get your juices flowing for some A20 bucks, look back on page 2 of this forum for a post called "Great scouting trip" or something along those lines. I posted up a few bucks we saw on the last scouting mission.

To say I am am little psyched for this hunt is an understatement. It's 12:45am and I couldn't sleep so I am back up watching hunting shows on Tivo and going through gear
I'm starting to think the wife might be right and I may be a wee bit obsessed. Good luck this weekend

Oh, one more quick note as a heads up. For Internet protocol, all capitals generally means you are yelling at someone

CORYMAN

Reaction score
BDB,

thanks. I will check out the pics. I too can not wait to go. I got the camper all packed and will be waiting for hunting buddies to pick me up Thursday morning.

Coryman

easymoney

Reaction score
coryman,
Good luck and congrats getting your tag.
BC and BDB have stated it pretty well already and if I were going I too would be tromping up high right where they are headed. It is truely Gods country and it is hard to get to, that's why it is still very good hunting... That is where I have had the most luck, but the areas out in the pucker brush do hold deer. Not alot, but they are out there along with all the other road hunters. The Bodies Hills are a good place to start, but there are loads of other places to explore.
Have fun...

Backcountry

Reaction score
Originally posted by BDB@Aug 17 2004, 12:47 AM
eloquent or long winded
Back when I was in the Army, we called that "diarrhea of the mouth".

Disclaimer: if you're new here and reading my posts, be advised... I like to write, a lot... I write stories, I write songs that I play on guitar in bottom-tier dive bars (plug yer ears, I can't sing to save my life), I write jokes, and to make a living on occasion I write scientific articles for publication in some of the finer geophysical journals read by academicians worldwide (i.e., exceptionally boring); HOWEVER, just because I write it, don't make it so… you’ve been warned.

Backcountry

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Backcountry@Aug 17 2004, 08:22 AM
and to make a living on occasion I write scientific articles for publication in some of the finer geophysical journals read by academicians worldwide
God I hope he doesn't post up his CV

easymoney

Reaction score
backcountry,
I get a kick out of your posts.
You are not long winded, that would be someone who doesn't really have anything of merit to say and still bloviats... Kind of like a loud fart... You and your bud, bdb are obviously not teens, educated, respectful of others and reasonably humorous to read. Keep up the good stuff, and when you get back from your A20 hunt hopefully you will post some more photos, sure to drive the newbies nuts...

Backcountry

Reaction score
Originally posted by easymoney@Aug 17 2004, 11:24 AM
I get a kick out of your posts.
Give it time, just give it time...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
You and your bud, bdb are obviously not teens, educated, respectful of others and reasonably humorous to read.[/b]
You've got me pretty well pegged, but you're a bit off with BDB... he's just going through puberty, taking remedial English as a 2nd language (he's one of them there foreigners for Pete's sake!), and he likes fart jokes. He's a generous fellow though, and when he whips up a batch of venison kabobs there's always plenty for everybody. Best I've ever had!

Whoops, sorry for the thread-hijack CORYMAN... we'll (i.e., me) reign it in and try to keep on target.

Backcountry

CORYMAN

Reaction score
Thanks to all for all the info. Im counting the hours before we leave for the hunt. Cant wait to see all the pics, hopefully one from me!

coryman

Top Bottom