Some pics from the area I'm now hunting...

gizz

Reaction score
Here are some pics taken the last 1 or 2 weeks from the area I'm hunting in. These pics were all taken over a scrape. One of the pics is very dark but you can the buck in the background. I'm hoping for a chance at the heavy 9. He's the one in the daylight.(hard to tell for sure what he is)  I also wouldn't mind getting a chance at the high and wide 6 pt.
Time will tell, day 1 has come and gone with no luck.

Fubar

Reaction score
gizz Great pics Good Luck on the big one.             Fubar

Possum

Reaction score
Great pics.  I'd like to pop the coyote.  That "elk" looks like a dandy.

Welby

Reaction score
Gizz, great, great pictures!  You never cease to provide us with great viewing pleasure!

StringShooter

Reaction score
Looks like he is working the scrape during the daytime hours. Not a bad sign at all.

Great pics too!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Gizz does seem to get good pix's, he's got a knack for finding the right camera place.  

Those guys trying to get a pix of BigFoot ought to contact Gizz for help.  I think he'd get several pix's the 1st day,  ha ha

Thanx Gizz, very enjoyable

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
Great pics Gizz!  Good luck nabbing one of those bucks!!!

gizz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!
I BELIEVE I may have seen Buck#2 (in order from top to bottom) this AM. He was following 2 doe about 100 yards behind them. He never stopped and was moving through some heavy laurel about 200yds out so I couldn't scope him. Looked nice but maybe not the one I'm looking for anyways. Also saw a small 7pt - maybe next year or 2 for him.  

(Edited by gizz at 6:24 pm on Nov. 27, 2001)

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Hey gizz.  What was Monday like up there?  Down here there didn't seem to be alot of shooting.  I think guys were holding out on a buck and letting the does go for now.  The does I did see taken were this years deer.  Very small.  I saw 10 doe but only one that I would have shot at.  She didn't present a shot for me though.

Good Luck,
Todd

~was up your way.. sort of, yesterday.  Trade show at Toftrees Resort in State College.  Some day we'll have to meet up.

gizz

Reaction score
Toddp - A warzone! I hate to sound like an alarmist but I fear for the deer herd in the big woods. I sure hope the PGC knows what they're doing. I agreed that the herd, mainly doe, was too high but going to a 2 week doe season from a 3 day doe season sure seemed a bit excessive. Add to that running it concurrently with buck season adds even more pressure. People (Hunters) are NOT holding back around here, they're shooting fawns, button bucks, does, and some bucks. The idea of harvesting a big fat doe sounds good but doesn't look like many hunters are practicing it. In fact, i doubt very much if they know how to tell the difference if the momma doe has already been culled from the group. Everyone I've talked too has the same thoughts. I agreed to give the PGC a chance with this, it will be interesting to see what happens next - I'm hopin for antler restrictions.

Today(Wed) in the local paper the butcher shops are claiming they've NEVER seen anything like it in all the years they've been butchering.
Here is one of the quotes from a popular area butcher:
"We're just jammed like never before, I've been doing this for 42 years, and I've never seen anything like it. We're maxxed out right to capacity"

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Butcher shops are filled here too.  No sense going hunting if you don't have a place to take a deer if I were to get lucky enough.  Looks like I will just wait for muzzleloader season.

Todd

gizz

Reaction score
I've passed on a lot of big doe cause i'm in a somewhat secluded area and feel the chances are good for a decent buck. I passed on a small 7 pt and have seen several other buck but nothing provided a "good" shot yet.
I'll wait until muzzleloader season for the doe - if there's any left :nope-blue:

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey Gizz, Todd,

I sat with my dad in Elk Co. the first two days, just like Gizz said, it sounded like a war zone, pretty much all day.As usual, the bucks I saw taken were small spikes and fours, the does I saw taken were small does, and button bucks. At my buddies camp, they took four doe on monday, and three of them were button buck.  The state game lands we hunted on had the gates "open for public travel" nov. 26-Dec. 8, the spot I hunt is normally a three mile trip in, we drove to within 100 yards of my usual spot. The PGC is VERY serious about killing off the deer, none of the local butcher shops will accept any more deer, they are telling guys to quarter and freeze them until next week. I am with Gizz on the antler restriction... I just hope the A-holes that shoot illegal buck don't just let them lay and walk away. Time will tell. Good luck Gizz, hope you get that big boy! PS- wouldn't you know it, Monday morning at 8:00, a HUGE 8ptr. walked right up to me, 40yards away, and just stood there, I of course didn't have a gun, and my dad screwed up and didn't get a shot.  They somehow know who they can and can't walk up to!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom