Some Water work today

bzzboyz

Reaction score
We finally got a chance to get in some water work this weekend. As was the case when we did the live birds, she was awsome. I was origionally going to start out close and work her out further as we went. I decided to go ahead and throw the first one out far at first to see what would happen. I figured if she didn't go to it, I could get it later with the boat. Well the first one she took off and didn't slow down till she got it. Like I said with the live birds, this stuff is just fun tio watch when their doing it right. We worked for about an hour and then she was getting wore out. I still need to work on her stamina, but I figure that will come the more we work.

Attachments

bzzboyz

Reaction score
Also found out that not only do I have a pretty good huntin dog in the works, but it turns out she's a pretty good fishin buddy as well.

Attachments

bzzboyz

Reaction score
Thanks. The dog's mine, the fish is mine, but unfotunately I can't say that the boat is. Belongs to the guy that owns the property.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Looks like you've got a winner! She's a looker too! Sure is fun when they do it like they're born naturals, eh? Sure hope you intend to hunt her in the uplands, where she can get out and stretch those legs. That will build stamina!
A lot of lab folks concentrate so much on the water work that their dogs walk at heel in the uplands, I think, that's a disservice, but to each his own! Looks like you have many a day afield ahead of you with that girl, all the best!

bzzboyz

Reaction score
BigDaddy. I would love to get her into alot of upland hunting. The only problem is we don't have alot around here. You have to get up in the panhandle to get into any kind of pheasant hunting what so ever and it's not great at that. We do have some decent quail hunting around here and we will be soing some. I try to keep her in a weave kind of mode and staying within 10-20 yards when we are walking fields so she can get used to it when we do try the quail. I don't think I'll be able to teach her to point, (even though I have heard that it can be done) but if I can keep her within 10-15 yards of me at all time, I figure I will have a shot when she flushes them. I've already determined that she has a pretty good nose, so I hope that this method will work.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
I don't remember you ever stating that your girl is of pointing lab genes, so I wouldn't think twice about her learning to point. Labs are of the flushing breeds, that is, that's how they handle upland game. Work within gun range coursing left to right in front of the hunters, their tails whipping when making scent and diving in for the flush.
I just saw a program on OLN, that a handler was using an English Setter and Black Lab as a team hunting upland game. The setter would lock up on point and the lab would sit next to the setter until told to flush. It was amazing, both dogs were perfect. they were shooting a combo of chukar, quail and pheasant and regardless of what came up, these two dogs would repeat this process over and over.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom