Sometimes this can be frustrating!!

Dbworld

Reaction score
Got some of Brian's boards and chips on Monday.  I could not get them to work.  One was obvious sloppy soldering job by someone (not Brian).  So I re-did it and it worked fine.  Now the other....it was a good soldering job by my alter ego.  And it would just freak out when i powered it up.   I re-soldered.  Same thing.  Was saying things like "gosh", "golly",  "heck"....etc.  Finally i see this teeny-tiny piece of brass colored something laying across about 3 traces.  Could barely see it.   Flicked that off and it works pretty damn good.  

Not bad for an impatient man.

Archilochus

Reaction score
I figure if I didn't get in at least 1,000 "gollys, darns and hecks" - among other more... ummm ... creative... sayings
per cam I ain't doin' something right!  :)

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Funny, I was just saying those very same words last night while experimenting with the Security Code on one of Brian's Chips, my wife's face is still red and the cat is avoiding me today......

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
I was just failing - several times :-(  - last night at an attempt to write some code for a "security number" program.
Finally got some code that works - sort of.
Just curious what sort of problem you're having with the security number so I can try to avoid it???

Arch

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
DB,

If it weren't for soldering mistakes I would have time to do twice as much as I do now.
Seems like a constant battle so don't feel bad.  Combine that with poor etching and man do you have a headache.  My new etch tank solved all the etching problems now all I have is soldering problems and that is enough.(surface mounts can be tricky)

Arch,

My security code is the push of buttons in a certain sequence and not a number and it is a little tricky.  Tinhorn used switches instead of buttons at first when setting up his board and that made it a little(ok a lot) more difficult to enter the sequence.  I will make a change to the timing so it is not so critical in the future.  I just wanted to make sure not just anyone could clear it.

Tinhorn,

I don't suppose my name was attached to some of those.:cry-blue::weep-yellow:

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Brian's Security Codes and ME

Sorry, while joking around about the "Pardon my French" I forgot I should include an explanation about the trouble, mostly created by me, as usuall,  he he

I thought I'd use a single,  3 terminal (DPDT), Momentary toggle switch instead of 2 Momentary Push Buttons for the Count & Mode switches.  (the Toggle sw is Momentary <on><off><on>)  This would only be one hole in the case and a weather proof boot could be used.  NOTE: Trouble is, the Security Code requires simultaniously pushing BOTH Count & Mode switches, impossible with a togglw switch.

Any way, this Set Up (with the Togglw Switch) was probably most of my problem.  In the Security Sequence, each of the Mode/Count switches has to be activated "within" a 1/4 second blink of the LED.  My reaction time (upon seeing the blink) combined with the slowness of the spring loaded toggle switch to release was not beating the 1/4 second window very often.....

I "THINK" 2 separate Momentary Switches will make it easier to engage the Security Sequence properly.  (I'll see later on today, probably)  Brian thinks the same thing too.

Here is my idea of a Security Code tho, if it's easy to implement, it's sort of based on Mr. Morse's code of a hunnert years ago, using dots and dashes.  

The Mode Switch could represent a DASH and the Count Switch the Dots.  When the Timer needs to be re-activated by the security code, it could wait for the proper dots/dash sequence to be entered.  This would even work better with the Momentary Toggle Switch mentioned above, but Momentary switches would work as well.  The LED could blink (dot-dot-dot-dash) which is "V" for Victory, both by Mozart's and Morse's code, when the proper Morse Code is entered.

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn,

I was just messing with you on the sad face.

I think I am tracking with you on the Morse code.  It would be easier to change the security code for each chip too.  It is the error checking that requires a lot of code.  The sequence that I built requires very little and as you saw is almost impossible to accidentally break.  Heck it is hard even when you know it.  I tested it on my wife and after I told here how to count down each sequence and get off the button before the LED went out she did it on the third try.  I really think the buttons are going to help.

I will play with the Morse code and see what I can come up with that will be easier.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Brian,
Your security idea sounds interesting, like to hear more on the theory behind it.
(not askin about "top-secret" info, am I?? ;-)
I've been toying with a 4 digit HEX coded security number (65,535 possible combinations) that needs to be entered every 5 power-ups.  The number could be more digits, but I figured 65,535 combinations was enough!
It seems to be working on it's own, but have to see what happens when it gets tossed into the mix with the rest of the code.

Arch

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I was just thinking, and hoping that whoever steals your (security coded) camera doesn't know about this site. Otherwise all they would have to do is order a new chip from Brian for $7.50 and they can have their own security code! But I guess there is no way around that, I'm sure most people that visit this site would rather build their own, than steal!  It was just a thought!

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Arch,

I can email you on the "top-secret" stuff.

How do you enter your 4 digit code with buttons only? Just curious.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom