son got one

cjc

Reaction score
After missing opening weekend in FL. due to my business trip, the kids were ready to go this weekend. We played cat&mouse with a bird for a couple of hours on Friday morning. Had him within 60 yrds several times but he was wanting the hen to come to him. Tried him again on Saturday same thing. Sunday morning my daughter stayed home so it would be a little easier for us to relocate and it she said it wasn't her turn to shoot anyway. Sunday morning went to set up on a different bird in the morning about 1/2 mile from where the other bird was hanging out and as its getting light we hear the bird we had been playing with the last two days in the same spot but nothing close to us so we packed up and headed off to try him again. It was after sunrise by the time we got the decoy out and hidden. The bird was ~150 yrds away. I called a couple times and he gobbled back every time so I shutup and waited ~15 minutes. Called again and he gobbled further away, I figured it was going to be another frustrating morning, but about then I hear a gobble behind us and then I start hearing hens. This bird was non-stop gobbling and I expected every hunter in the woods to show up. They were working our way.
So we shift around so we have some cover on this side, They work up to ~50 yards away and take the woods road going off to our left. I start calling trying to get the hens to come in. Thats when I hear the first gobbler coming back our way. He was coming quick. My son shifts back around for the bird coming from the North. The bird sees the decoy and starts struttin/spitten&drummin. He did this all the way in from 80yrds out. Bird behind us still gobbling. He came out behind a bush at 15yrds and my son cut loose. A handshake and hug later we were picking up his 8 1/2 inch beard, 16.8 lb., 3/4 in. spurred bird. I thought about trying for the other bird but figured I would save it for my 12 yr old daughter next weekend. I think I have become a guide, but thats okay. I wouldn't have it any other way. good luck to everyone, be safe.

Attachments

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
Congrats on a nice hunt!

I hope to get my daughter her first hunt/bird this year.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Good job and great story! Congrats to you and your son! Here's wishing your daughter good luck!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Congrats to your boy. It's really cool too, that he shot it with a old Browning Humpy...........

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Purty work!

Sometimes guiding them is about as much fun as shooting them, isn't it?

Advertisement

Top Bottom