Sooty Grouses Mount

GSP4Runner

Great mount! I love these birds too. Just got my first bow for deer and also plan to get some grouse with my bow while deer hunting this fall.

dthome

I’ve seen guys on TV walk right up to grouse and arrow them at 12 yards, but the grouse I hunt won’t let me get closer than 40 yards with my bow. I try every year, and just end up educating the birds so when firearm season opens, I have virtually no chance. It’s so much fun.

So forgive me for a silly question, but is there a way to clean the meat of you birds for the table and save the skin for a mount? How do you prep the skin before you can get it to taxidermist? I am usually in a rush for cleaning anyways and only take the meat but would love to send my next mountain quail to taxidermy or grouse if i can ever find them....Maybe i just need to slow down a bit. I never tried so any tips would be appreciated. Nice mount by the way

dthome

I had the same question, fastpower, because grouse are delicious. Firstly, you want to bring a completely intact bird to the taxidermist. You don’t do any prep like you would for big game. If you can’t deliver it immediately, you’ll want to freeze it. Secondly, when the taxidermist peels off the skin, they liberally apply borax to the skin, and it gets all over the meat. So, you don’t get to eat the one you have mounted. In the end, you have a choice: eat or mount.

P.s. to ensure your bird is kept looking good, keep a pair of panty hose with you at all times. When you finally shoot a bird that will mount well, slide the bird in the panty hose, and the feathers will all remain intact. Freeze while encased.

I had the same question, fastpower, because grouse are delicious. Firstly, you want to bring a completely intact bird to the taxidermist. You don’t do any prep like you would for big game. If you can’t deliver it immediately, you’ll want to freeze it. Secondly, when the taxidermist peels off the skin, they liberally apply borax to the skin, and it gets all over the meat. So, you don’t get to eat the one you have mounted. In the end, you have a choice: eat or mount.

P.s. to ensure your bird is kept looking good, keep a pair of panty hose with you at all times. When you finally shoot a bird that will mount well, slide the bird in the panty hose, and the feathers will all remain intact. Freeze while encased.
Ok that makes more sense. You saved me the embarrassment of bringing in a mess for the pros to fix. Lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GSP4Runner Upland Bird Hunting 21
GSP4Runner Upland Bird Hunting 2
dthome Taxidermy 2
bobcatdan Upland Bird Hunting 10
T Upland Bird Hunting 5

Top Bottom