Sounds for bobcats?

LKN4HOG

Reaction score
I have received many different suggestions for call sounds for bobcats. Some say use distress rodents or rabbits. Others say bird noises. I have tried a Lohman Quail call by just blowing through it to create a sorta high pitched bird shrill type noise. What about the woodpecker sounds? Why a woodpecker?

What do you suggest or use for cats?

Randy

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I don't target bobcat's anymore but when i did I had no trouble bringing them in with any coyote call, if you're new at this remember that cat's will sometimes come in very slowly and they'll hang up 50 or 60yds away and check things out so always watch the edge of the woods or rock's

NikolaKangrga

Reaction score
I use treeing walker hounds. Ive always had the hardest time calling in cats.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
All the distress sounds will work. If I'm in good cat country I'll use rodent or bird distress and I'll keep the volume fairly low. Cats will sometimes run in but most of the time they will sneak in slowly and I believe we all call in a lot more cats then we ever see. Also most callers will get up and move too soon. Call for cats a min. of 30 mins.
Why woodpecker...I'm not sure but I've used it to call in as many yotes as cats.

soreloser

Reaction score
There are many opinions on Bobcats so take the ones you think will work for you and go with it. I don't think there are any wrong methods. I'll add one more opinion to the pile from what little experience I have had. Keep in mind these are OPINIONS and MY experiences.

I do nothing different for killing cats than what we do for killing coyotes. As a FACT, 99% of our cats called in are done so as a result of targeting coyotes. However and I don't know why I do this, but I will play a higher pitched rabbit sound if specifically targeting cats, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

I have yet to call in a Bobcat on stand past 20 minutes. But that's because I haven't sat on stand past 20 minutes. Average stand being 12-15 mintues in length. We have had cats respond to the call in as little as 30 seconds and as long as 19 minutes 30 seconds. We have killed cats at 200yds and killed cats at 7yds (the 200yd'r got spooked by a pair of coyotes and froze solid)..

I have NEVER seen a cat RUN that wasn't already shot. I have seen them TROT many, many times and of course seen them do that little fast paced walk they do ( if you've seen it then you know what I'm talking about). With that said, other than a couple taken in thick stuff with a shotgun(didn't see them until they were close), every cat called in, TROTTED(so to say) from 100yds to 400yds or more. Some stopped 7yds from the call while others checked up earlier and then put the sneak on the caller, average range being about 50yds from the caller. Two cats literally walked in and physically grabbed the FX5 in the bush or put it's nose in the speaker.

My OPINION is that the majority of the folks that feel the need to stay on stand for 30 minutes or longer are not hunting with ELEVATION and VISIBILITY. To me those are key factors and I won't make a stand without at least one of them. I have never seen a cat SNEAK in from several hundred yards out, I have seen them do it many times from 50-75yds out. But I know I haven't seen it all just yet. For those folks that do not have ELEVATION or VISIBILITY that cat they shot at the 40 minutes mark could have very well been killed at the 8 minute mark if they could have seen it sooner.

Here's the low down of this past season. Between Me, the wife, AugnMike and another partner KenH there were a tad over 60 cats (sorry, lost count) called in to the FOXPRO's. I think only 2 of those were at night the rest all during the day. 18 of those cats were killed, 3 by my wife. 90% of those cats were called with some type of Jack Distress, usally Lightning Jack. The rest broke up into Adult Cottontail, SnoeShow HighPitched and various Bird Sounds. The biggest majortiy of cats called were well within 12-15 minutes and 98% of them were called in while targeting Coyotes. All 3 of my wifes Bobcats were killed with our 4 year old daughter on stand to add an extra challenge

Hopes this helps in figuring out how you want to target the cats in the future. As stated before these are just my own personal observations and opinions base on what little experience I have.

EDITED: Cause' I no spell good.

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
If I were to guess, I have probably been on maybe 300 or so bobcat kills over the years. No I didn't kill them all myself, but I was there and saw what happen.

I have to almost totally agree with Sorelosers opinions on cat hunting, very good post. Sounds like dirtpoor knows what's going on too.

You got some good advice LKN4HOG

boarrunner

Reaction score
I like the woodpecker for bobs, but have had them come into a cottail tail, and a slate turkey call.
like dirt poor said they like to hang back quite a ways, and will often wait until the call stops, then aproach very cautiously. Listen to the bluejays they'll tell you which direction the bobcat is approaching from.
I don't shoot them, I just like to locate them

LKN4HOG

Reaction score
Thanks everybody, this all will be a GREAT help. I will let you know how I do next season.

Randy

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
a basic rabbit distress call works just fine, just have to be a little patiant, a bobcat can pinpoint your exact location you are standing and calling from so be ready
........tra

Advertisement

Top Bottom