Southern Cal Dove

Fubar

Reaction score
With Dove season coming fast I thought I would take a poll on everyones favorite spot. I have friends that hunt CRIT-Blythe . Other guys hunt Wister near Niland. Some go to Holtville -El Centro area (I find this area can be better the second half opener). Other friends of mine hunt Yuma and a little farther East they have great results in Tacna. Where is your favorite spot?            Fubar

Z-man

Reaction score
Hey Fubar, I have a well worn map of El Centro with lots of little red dots all over it.  Most of them are north of Holtville.  Opener last year I hunted accross from the DFGs planted field and just about got shot as much as the doves.  This year I'm thinkin about the CRIT land as an alternative.  I drove through Yuma about a month ago and saw a ton of whitewing.  This year is going to be crazy with opener on a Saturday.  Going scouting in 2 or 3 weeks to check out the possibilities.  There's my two bits.

gtbait

Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is one hunter that won't hunt the opener. Last years attempt at Finney-Ramer convinced my son and I that we must have been wearing magnetic clothing. Too much shot in the air for us. The 2nd season at Finney-Ramer is a nice way to go though. A great way to pop a bunny or 2 while waiting on the evening birds.

Fubar

Reaction score
Gtbait    Spectr said there are doves up in the San Bernardino National Forest. Another friend of mine told me he hunts there also. Its not the frenzy of the desert hunting but he said you can get a limit and there are a lot less people. It wouldnt be as hot either.                     Fubar

Fubar

Reaction score
fonesplicr      I think you will find as many people on the CRIT as anywhere else. Opening weekend is crowded all over. Some of my friends go to Tacna AZ not far from yuma. They said they hunt peanut fields there. They have good luck on Whitewing but you have to get an AZ license.           Fubar

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I like hunting some of the springs out in the Mojave. Its not as easy hunting the flat field but there is a lot more solitude. This year I will be up in Big Pine for the opener. I f there are no doves then I'll go fishing.

Fubar

Reaction score
karstic   That sounds like a good plan.         Fubar

mtngoat

Reaction score
CRIT has been shoulder to shoulder the last few years. I have no desire to sweat my ass off and get shot for a limit of Doves this year. I like Karstic's idea the best, September is for Trout and the early mtn. Quail season.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Head for the hills, the mountains I mean. Less people, 80 degree temps, closer to home and you can scout for deer/bear season. It's even a tougher shoot which I find more fun than pointing at waves of birds and pulling the trigger. With flights of 2 to 6 twisitng around you have to be a pretty good shot to get a limit with one box of shells. After the mornign shoot head to Silverwood or Big Bear for some fishing or swimming and then back for an evening shoot if you didn't limit in the morning.

I think a couple of buddies are gong to tell me to  keep my big mouth shut.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I was planning on going to CRIT/Blythe, but may go there for the 3rd weekend.

I will more than likely hunt the same ol spots in Imperial with FONESPLICR.  I'm untimately in search for the white wings, they've been pushed out of the valley by weather the last few years.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
CRIT lands are way too crowded.  Just like the orange groves on the mesa above Blythe years ago.  It is a good spot after the crowds leave.  My father-in-law hunts near the guzzlers around Rattlesnake Canyon above Hesperia.  The birds don't arrive until 8 or 9 and it's usually very cool in the AM.  I'm heading to a buddies field below Blythe with all of our kids.  Slower shooting but SAFE.  

dhodsdon

Reaction score
I am heading out around the Hanford area (30 minutes below Fresno).  My buddies and I get our limit no problem for about the last five years.  About the last three years I could have shot about three limits if i wanted.  I went out to scout a few days ago and there are more dove than I have ever seen in the past.  Anybody hunt around the Fresno area?????

ghrousseau

Reaction score
I hunt in Fresno near where 145 meets the "five points" intersection.  I hunt on Wild West Hunt Club property with Doug Jenkins.  It has been a good hunt for me the past few years.  The property has the Fresno slough running through it and there is milo that has been cut down just before season begins.  It's also a nice hunt because we shoot planted chukkar the same weekend.

WingSetter

Reaction score
I choose to drive to Airzona.  Too many hunters in Calif for the opener .  Yuma/Blythe area.  You can find a lot of places to hunt that don't have a lot of people.  Scout the area for a field.  I was fishing the Salton Sea this past week, on the way down there from Indio, to Imperial there were an incrediable amount of White Wings.  Was staying at a hotel and while in the parking lot drinking so Coffee my buddy and me seen at least 500 White Wing coming off a field to go out and eat.  It was incredable to see flights of 15-100 birds in the area.  

2curljohnny

Reaction score
that brings back some fond memories qalhuntr. i cut my teeth there 15-20 yrs. ago with my dad. we pass by it every year on the way to AZ. like you, the crowds got to us. good luck... only 5 weeks away

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Folks, I love to hunt & fish.  But, one weekend a year I break down & go golfing with a great buddy who has no desire to shoot.  In turn, he goes on a weekend to the Sierra's for trout.  This past weekend, we were in La Quinta for the annual tournament.  I found the ULTIMATE white wing spot.  There were pairs all day long.  Morning and night had huge flocks flying over.  Now, if I can only get permission to shoot from the 4th tee at the Landmark North course (home of the Skins Game), I'll have the greatest spot.  My 870 should fit nicely in the old golf bag.

Marty

Reaction score
That is a good area, Quailhunter.  Unfortunately, the city has annexed most of the land.  There used to be open areas you could get off a shot.  And the golf courses always bring in the birds.  Lots of water and seed.

dbeerman2000

Reaction score
I know this ios a little late, I am just getting onto this website, but maybe you can check it out for next year.  My favorite spot for dove is a little BLM patch in front of the Marine Base in Twentynine Palms.  It has a few hunters during the early season but they all but disappear during the regular season.  My commanding officer loves dove and took nearly a limit every day of the early season.  The birds are out there, mostly in the evening.

Top Bottom