Soybean groundhogs

FTTPOW

Reaction score
With the late spring planting taking place around the area, the hunting is just now getting good. The young-of-the-year are already good sized targets and the beans are only about 5-6 inches tall. It's prime time! I was able to whack 6 this morning before it got too hot. The farthest was 450-500 yds. My range finder couldn't pick him up, but the nearest reading was 289 and he was about 150-200 yds farther out. I held about 1 foot over and made him scratch at the sky. I LOVE this .17 Rem! I've gotten 10 this week and look forward to the next couple of weeks' worth of shooting before the beans get tall enough to hide them.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I went on my first 3 generation hunt this evening. My 12 yr old grandson got 2 with a .17 HMR, both at over 100 yds, my son took 2 with his .204 Ruger. 1 up close and 1 at 235 yds, and I got 2 at 273 and 196 yds. We saved my son's father-in-law a few soybeans tonight.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I sure do miss the ghog sniping. I saw that new whiskey called whistlepig and figured the owner knew what it meant

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I haven't had too much time for it this year. So far I've only gotten about 4-5. 3 different times I've had curious people come to check out how I'm doing, not realizing or caring that it messes things up. It's getting hard to see them above the beans, now.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
the last ghog i hunted i saw as i left our farm in NE MO. He was in a grassy lane staring out in the the neighbors bean field with his belly hanging out. I screeched to a stop and fat boy took off. We played pick a boo for bout 20 mins but i finally had to get to town. He'd played the game before. Cousin finally ended his reign of terror, he started to dig under our sheds for a den. Popped em with a .270. Good trigger time for deer season.

Top Bottom