spectr17's turkey gun

troyandmarsha

Reaction score
how did you prep your turkey gun for your home made camo painting?  did you prime it with anything?  is the stock synthetic or wood?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hello troyandmarsha,

I first taped off the trigger, scope adjustment markings and lenses and breech and then wiped the gun down real good with alcohol. I used the HS spray kit, the 16 oz. permanent paint from Cabela's and their leaf stencils. As my stencils got old, I just picked up ferns in the woods to stencil with. Every year I touch up the places where the paint is rubbed off. I don't tape off any sight beads as you can just scrape the paint of them with a knife or screwdriver real quick.

Happy camoing

PowDuck

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth here but I don't recommend painting your gun. I had mine done a couple years ago, was never pleased with it aesthetically, and finally stripped all the paint off and refinished the stocks last week. The factory camo is great, but if it's not factory, keep it blued (or Parkerized in my case) and varnished.

Think long and hard before painting a gun. It's a total pain in the rear to strip one once you've painted it.

j3storch

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I've got a pump shotgun (remington 870). It has the parkerized barrel and receiver. I bought one of those camo gunsocks by HS. I also bought a roll of double-stick tape.

I put the tape on the wood of the pump slide, peeled off the backing and adhered the stretchy gunsock material to it. It looks good. The tape is a white foam-looking stuff, about 1/16th inch thick. I used a black marker to cover the slight amount of white that showed at the edges.

I used the butt part of the gun sock to cover the butt of the gun. I wrapped a ring of doublestick tape around the forward part of the gun butt, just behind the trigger guard to hold the stretchy material in place.

I haven't had it in the woods yet, but it looks pretty good.

j3storch

Fubar

Reaction score
j3storch    Sounds good but what happens when it rains and the gun gets wet?               Fubar

PowDuck

Reaction score
Parkerizing is a coating of phosphate instead of a controlled rust process (bluing). It was used in World War II on arms. It used to be known as phosphatized. I think the word Parkerize came from the guy that either invented or perfected the process. The coating has a slightly greenish tint to it.

Painted guns have their place and their advocates. Just not for me anymore.

troyandmarsha

Reaction score
my issue with putting tape on my gun is that i did that, rain got underneath, now i have rust all over it.  didn't realize it until i pulled some of the tape off.  now i have to work the rust off.  is there a bluing option that doesn't leave a shiny surface?

j3storch

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Yeah guys, responding to earlier reply on my post. I just put the doublestick tape on the wood parts of the gun. The metal is parkerized, and doesn't shine.  It looks like a black stick with camoed butt stock and pump slide.

Later.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom