Speer trophy bonded bear claw

ironworker

Reaction score
For my upcoming elk hunt I decided to buy some top of the line bullets for my 300 wsm.
After a bunch of reading I decided to go with the Speer Trophy bonded Bear Claw 180 grain SP. The bullets come in a little plastic box with a pouch remeniscent of the old gold nugget bubble gum you bought when you were a kid.

Any way, the bullets look extremely shabby with little marks and dents all over them. At the same time I got some Nosler 150 gr for my 270 wsm and their silky smooth.
The bear claws were $47.00 for 50 bullets
I would expect these bullets to look like gold not like they had been run through a shaker for a few days.

Rich

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Speer bullets have a tendency to look that way. Maybe soft jackets I suppose. But they never really shot badly.
I still use Grand Slams. Good bullet. Not very pretty. But they get the job done.
Try them at the range. See how it goes.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
180 Grain Nosler Accubonds.

WHACK!

I headshot my cow last November at a ranged off 370 yards using a 200 gr. Accubond in my win. mag. Meat on the ground! I think that is the best conventional bullet going right now. You can buy them off the website (Nosler) and you can buy the seconds, which work just fine. Most of them are seconds 'cause they were manufactured for WW so they have red tips--so that makes them a second. I've never had an animal care what the polymer tip looked like.

I've used Speer bullets over the years-admittedly not the TBBC's-and I found them inferior in accuracy to almost everything else. But that's just me.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
They raise their prices and not their quality. Try another bonded bullet.

Duknutz

Reaction score
Check out the Swift A-Frame,kinda pricey also,but shot some great groups with them.And performance on animals was awesome,I thought.Good Luck....

Val

Reaction score
Lots of premium grade bullets are made by various manufacturers. The Nosler partitions and accubonds are great bullets and less expensive than a lot of bullets. The Hornady interbonds are even more cost effective and a good choice.

Top Bottom