• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Spent some time Sunday celebrating a WWII veteran

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
I rode with the Patriot Guard Riders on Sunday to a WWII Veteran's Appreciation ride in Macon, Georgia. We honored Grover Sassaman, a 98 y/o Marine aircraft mechanic who was assigned to VMF-214 (Black Sheep Squadron; Greg "Pappy" Boyington). Grover was invited to participate in a recent Honor Flight to Washington DC, but his doctor wouldn't clear him to fly for health reasons, so his family stepped up and threw a shindig and invited the PGR. They asked the Commemorative Air Force to bring in an F4U from Fayetteville and he did a flyover and we all watched him land and fold the wings; that was SUPER cool! There were about 75 bikes and over 100 people. Grover had a great time! BTW, Grover owns the local HD dealership in Macon. He's the oldest dealership owner and still goes in to work every day.

IMG_20190915_121420152.jpg

IMG_20190915_130123739.jpg

Common Sense

Sounds great. There is something special about those folk. Rented a space a my antique shop for over thirty years to a sailor who was aboard the USS Bismarck when the Japs kamikazed and sank it off IwoJima. He was my grandsons hero. Lost him last year.

P304X4

Nice pic of the F4U Corsair. When did the CAF change it's name from the Confederate Air Force to the Commemorative Air Force? Another one of those political correct thingies I guess.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
<snip> When did the CAF change it's name from the Confederate Air Force to the Commemorative Air Force? Another one of those political correct thingies I guess.
I wondered the same thing, so I did a minor bit of research. From the Wikipedia ariticle on the Commemorative Air Force:
Following a 2001 membership vote, the group changed its name to Commemorative Air Force effective January 1, 2002.[3] Many felt the name Confederate Air Force was confusing, did not accurately reflect the purpose of the organization, and was detrimental to fundraising efforts.[17] According to CAF chief of staff Ray Kinney, "In many people's minds, the word 'confederacy' brings up the image of slavery and discrimination. We, in no way, are associated with that kind of stuff. So, it gives us, in a way, a black-eye."[18] [/quote}
I'm not on board with the PC garbage either, but I have to respect their explanation. If it hampers fundraising, I'm all for the change, so we can keep these beautiful birds flying. The Pilot (a retired Lt. Col.) told us that there are only a dozen left. I think there's only ONE airworthy Zero left now. Man, what I would give to own and fly an F4U, P-38 or a P-47!

P304X4

I guess the name change does make sense. A P-40 Warhawk and P-51 Mustang would be nice additions to that list! A P-61 Black Widow might also be a fun ride.

Top Bottom