spinning reel....which one?

dazco

Reaction score
I've been looking at all the regular stuff.........Daiwa, Shimano, etc. But what i don't like is that most have a lot of plastic parts. One that seems to be mostly metal is the Johnny Morris. But it's only available at BPS, and i want to buy in town, not mail order. Another one that looks pretty good is the Mitchell 300x, but i'm kind of leary about it at such a low price. I don't mind spending so little if it's good, but i doubt that i'll find a reel thats mostly metal for near that price.

So i'd like to hear your opinions on whats good within my specs, which would be mostly or all metal construction, enough bearings to be very smooth, reliable line handling, (little tangling etc) and preferably something that doesn't look odd.....good looks are a plus. But metal construction is a big one for me, tho i'll pass on that feature if it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg without giving me any benefits over a great reel thats got a lot of plastic. In other words, i'm not willing to pay another 100 bucks or more than a reel that will be as good in all other areas.

So just give me your opinions on anything, but keep my prefs in mind. They arent all absolutly necassary..........i'm just kinda thinking out loud.......don't really know a lot about them................Dale

EVAN III

Reaction score
   My personal fav. is the   Shimano Spirex 2000RB. It may not be the most expensive but it is by far my personal best.  It has 4 S.S ball bearings, great drag (fighting drag) which allows you to fine tune your drag while fighting a fish. Quickfire bail for quick casting. Counter balenced handle for smooth reterive. And it looks great!!  I think I got mine for around 65 bucks. Not a bad price for a great reel.

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
Well, i compared everything from shimano, quantum, daiwa, okuma, and ended up with a new model from daiwa called the "capricorn". It just looked and felt more right to me than anything else. ($114) The shimano stradic was a close 2nd, having only one thing about it i liked more than the daiwa...........a wooden handle. But the daiwa had one of the smoothest nicest bails of anything i tried. On top of that it was extrmely good looking to my tastes and smooth as i could ever want. It seems i always am drawn to daiwa reels, and again they hooked me !

-Dale

Mntnwyngr

Reaction score
Dazco, please give us a follow-up reveiw on how the new Capricorn is actully working out for you. I too am a big fan of Diawa spinners and am considering this one for my next reel. I have had nothing but good success with my Regal Z and Emblem reels. I think that its about time that major manufactureres started making metal/alloy body reels again. Stick it too 'em! Mntnwyngr.

dazco

Reaction score
Yea, it's working fine. To be honest, my last Daiwa was a good one too, and to me after a certain price point nothing much changes. I can't find anything about the Capricorn or any Daiwa in this price range that needs fixin'. All i can really say is that it's as good a reel as anyone could ever need. I mean, things can't get any smoother really, and even if it could it would be so insignificant you'd never notice it. The main reason i wanted it is because it has very little plastic. Yes, it does have some, but only cosmetic stuff really. Oh, and the drag adjustment know, tho it's rather nice looking.

So what i can tell you is that it's a considerably nicer reel than the Emblem S i have, which cost me close to as much. I'm very happy with it, but as i said, at this price point the only thing to consider really is how you like the look and features because i doubt any reel this expensive is going to have any flaws in it's fuctionality. No one would pay this much for a reel thats more than fractionally less than perfect in function.

If you are a Daiwa guy, i'd say this reel will make you quite happy. I've already used it a lot in the little time i've had it, and it's been quite a joy to use. A lot of it is the "jewel factor" as i call it. Lets face it....a substancially cheaper reel will catch as many fish and work fine. Paying the extra bucks just gets you that "fine jewelry" aspect and the best anti-reverse and smoothness you could ask for. But in reality a cheaper reel would not be a big step down. Ya gotta face the fat that a reel only has so much to do to be near perfect. Beyond this price it's mostly snob appeal. But the mostly metal construction was my main concern in a new reel. The machined aluminum crank is a nice touch, and it's smooth enough so that you can twist it and let it go and watch the momentum keep it turning !

I matched it up with a Daiwa "Heartland" spinning rod, and this combo is as much rod n' reel as i could ask for. I think you'll be happy with it. But i suggest you go somewhere that has many models of all the major makes and compare them all side by side to be sure. I did, and the Shimano sustain almost went home with me. But when i saw the Cpricorn with a nicer bail and titainium spool lip and equally nice action with a better look, i knew immediatly it was the one. And the topper was the Daiwa name !! I always loved Daiwa gear !

Let me know if you end up getting one and post a review. I'd love to know what you think.

-Dale

(Edited by dazco at 3:11 pm on April 21, 2002)

Top Bottom