SPOOKING DEER

chadwright

Reaction score
What is everyones thoughts on this?  I am sure that this has been hashed around a lot, but I wanted to here some opinions again.  I developed my first two rolls of film from my first two cameras and a few of the deer that I got pics of seem to be bolting away.  Do you think that this will keep them from returning to that area?  I am not wanting to scare all of the deer out of my woods just to get one picture of them.  What are some peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks

Chad Wright

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi chadwright - I had to move some of my cams, because getting repeat pictures of the same deer. It got so bad that we had names for each deer.

(Edited by Richard Webb at 9:15 am on Oct. 1, 2001)

Gator

Reaction score
I agree with Richard, I have taken numerous pictures of the same bucks. And lots of times I will get pictures of the same deer within just a few minutes of each other.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Chad,
I have a recent roll of film - all of the same single doe.  This roll was taken over a two week period.  I think she was getting to like the attention!
Not to say it's impossible that a particular deer might get upset, but they dont' really seem to care in general.

Archilochus

Brotherwolf

Reaction score

Does he looked spooked?
I have several photos of this and a six pointer that kept milling around in front of my camera. They would walk away and then come right back. I don't think it scares them to much. There really isn't a threat to them.

chadwright

Reaction score
I can see where a small 1-2 year old deer would not be bothered by the camera.  Have you seen any larger P&Y deer return to the camera over and over? I just hope that the flash is not making the older wiser deer change their routes or worse yet, relocate to different woods.

Chad

Matt in MO

Reaction score
I used to have the relay hooked up to the speaker output on the RS PIR - the singing of the relay would "somewhat" disturb the deer. But now with it running throught the pin 2 the camera is silent and deer aren't spooked at all even with 100% flash.

Matt in MO
didn't enter the photo contest - felt others were more deserving due to work they do. Too bad things are going south. Lets get back to homebrews...

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Chad,
This could be an interesting bit of research.  Locate two similar areas where some big ol' monsters have been seen.  Place some regular cams at one, and at the other place some of those "Game-vu" infra-red flash digital cameras.
Compare the results.  It would be very interesting to see if the older deer do indeed get driven off by the flash.

Archilochus

chadwright

Reaction score
What made me curios to this subject is that on my first roll of film I have 4 pics of a nice 8pt feeding on some acorns.  The last pic that I have of him, his ears are back and he is in the middle of what looks to be a "running" stride.  I guess we will see if he shows up on any of my furture rolls of film.

Thanks for all of the replys.

Chad Wright

kc

Reaction score
Chad,

My second roll has 5 pictures of a pair of nice 10pt bucks. There are 2 from the first night and 3 more from the second night.  They don't seem to be camera shy.

Possum

Reaction score
First roll last week had the same 6pt four different nights.  The 2nd roll was in double pic mode and caught a 2.5 year old hanging around. Then he mad a scrape 5 ft in front of the camera.  I don't think he was concerned about the camera.  

No guys, I don't have the pic of him pawing.  He must have done it during the time out period.  I should have taken a pic of the scrape itself but did not thing of it.

(Edited by Possum at 10:59 pm on Oct. 1, 2001)

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
In my particular area, I am hunting "subarban deer", little woodlots, briar patches, fence rows, etc. I am hunting in an area right now, where I had my camera up until 5 days ago. I got two different buck on film, and lots of does and fawns, I have seen only two doe from my stand so far, and the tracks in the creekbank that where beat in the ground, are now just old. I think it is probably a combination of the flash, and the fact that I was walking in there once a week to check the camera, the deer have changed there patterns. I was just asking myself the same question when I came across your post. Just my observation, of my particular area...trying to hunt these "BACKYARD BUCK"..Good Luck to you.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I hope you guys are right about MOST deer not being bothered by them.

I've had a cam out all week, over-looking a fresh Ground Scrape.  There are 2 trails crossing rite there too and I plan on being in a tree 15 yards from the camera Friday evening (too near a field to take a chance in the AM)

I think I'll leave the cam right there and see if I can watch a deer's pix get taken.  At least I'll have an excuse If i miss, the FLASH got in my eyes

or  hey!

maybe the deer will be blinded by the flash and just freeze for me to get several shots off  :)

Tinhorn

gtk

Reaction score
I've noticed on our place that..

The cam's i have in a field seem to spook some deer.

The cams i have in the woods do not seem to spook any deer, with exception for this one...

what do you think, was she running and the cam caught her, or was she running from the cam ??

Possum

Reaction score
There is a good article in North American Whitetail (Oct.) concerning how deer react to wind and the smell of humans.  I hunt on a farm where there is a large amount of traffic.  There are plenty of deer and I can study them extensivly year to year.  I've found they do not balk at human scent per se, but they are alarmed at human scent in the wrong places.  They feed next to the house with the wind blowing in their direction with me sitting in the yard.  But, if I move into the to the field next to them they will spook.  They aren't used to the scent in that location. My guess is the flash doesn't bother them but the trips to the Cam do.  We should concentrate on a remote control Cam that walks in on its own.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hot damn! A robot cam - now THERE's an idea.
>>>>>>
Anyway.... as far as people getting pix of deer running away... It seems unlikely that in the few hundredths of a second that the flash and shutter take to go off and record a pic that the deer would have any time to react, so therefore would not be caught in the act of running due to the flash spooking them.  The pix of running deer are probably just that...deer that happened to be going by at speed.

Archilochus

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I've had some deer that didn't care and some that spook.  One doe stared at the camera for three consectutive pictues.  While in Maine I set my camera on some bear baits.  I got two pictures of this one bear but he never hit the bait again for the next couple days.  

I imagine they're just like humans.  Some scare easily and some don't.

Todd

flarcher00

Reaction score
I just got back my 3rd role and the deer could care less. They know something is there but they seem to come back even more after the first pic. I love it!!!

gtk

Reaction score
Hey Archy.. 1st off, I am not arguing with you

Now:

I have several pic's of deer running away.. I also don't have a timer, so the deer running is usually on the second pic, third, sometimes 4th  ( I need to suck it up and build a timer)

I think the deer hear my relay click, which grabs their attention, and then they are blinded by the flash .. I can  just see it now, seeing deer during  hunting season running around bumping into trees.

Anyway, it takes almost 2 seconds for my relay to click, then fire the pic ??  Don't know if this is abynormal or what...  Also, it's very audible.

Later ...

Possum

Reaction score
That is probably what is causing it.  I found there was no spooking with my RSPIR but with my MS20 there is an audible click and some deer turned and looked directly at the cam.   Even though they run I still have pics of them the next night so it must not spook them too bad.

Top Bottom